Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 AM

Default [30/3] KK, HU, OOP, bad flop

Blinds 25/50

SB (875)
BB (545)
Hero (UTG) (760)
Villain (UTG+1) (2240)
HJ (1485)
CO (715)
Button (1380)

Hero: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero raises to 150, Villain calls

(Pot: 375) Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets (200), Villain raises to 600, Hero folds.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: [30/3] KK, HU, OOP, bad flop

fine
Old 11-04-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: [30/3] KK, HU, OOP, bad flop

I'd stall a little, then check the flop. I often check these bad flops where I can't make a decent size bet without getting myself potstuck. There are a few reasons:

- Allowing a free card is not very dangerous (this is a WA/WB scenario)
- Pausing a little then checking actually looks a lot like a typical donk slowplay with AQ, AA, QQ. Given that I raised UTG villain has to be a little worried about those hands.
- People typically do not make a decent sized bet without an ace here. Especially not people who like to smooth call 150 chip raises preflop. They're too passive.

The scenarios after I check are:

- Villain checks. In this case I'll bet the turn, probably allin.
- Villain bets a pitiful amount, like 150. In this case I'll checkraise allin.
- Villain makes a normal size bet, say 250 or 300. I fold.
- Villain bets EXACTLY the amount I have remaining. I giggle at the stupidity of the general public and fold.
- Villain bets allin. This is tricky and depends on the player, but lean towards folding and retaining your stack.

Put yourself in villain's shoes. A guy raises UTG and your friend calls with 66 for you while you're off taking a leak. You come back, roll your eyes at your friend a little and see the flop AQx. Your opponent blinks a couple of times and then checks. He only has 600 left. Don't you feel like you're being trapped here? Would you be able to bet 250? Imagine how much harder it is for a player who's probably twice as passive as you.