Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Theory: Stack Efficiency in SNGs

Disclaimer: The following applies more to higher buyin SNGs, where there are more aggressive players. If you're an experienced player you probably know everything in this post already, but it doesn't hurt to get concepts clear in your mind.

When is the best time to steal from your opponents? Most players understand that in allin steal scenarios, it's better for your opponent to have a smaller stack. If he has a large stack, applying ICM concepts will give him similar results to just using pot odds, and he'll just call whenever he thinks his hand is probably better than yours. The shorter your opponent's stack, the better, all the way down to the point where the blinds start becoming such a large percentage of his stack that he's forced to call loose.

What about non allin steals? Once again, it isn't a good idea to steal from very large stacks which can't be hurt by you. This time though, I don't think it's a linear progression down through smaller stacks.

Consider the typical steal situation:

Hero (1900)
SB (irrelevant)
Villain (???)
Blinds 50/100
Dealt to Hero [ Qh Js ]
(folds to Hero)
Hero raises (300)
SB folds

What stack size would you prefer Villain has? In this situation it's unlikely that he has enough that your 1900 can't seriously hurt him. Let's consider stack sizes from, say, 1200 to 2400. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that we can't really call a reraise for any of those amounts. Villain calling is outside the scope of this post (as I said at the top, I'm assuming aggressive opponents), but I think everyone will agree it's nowhere near as bad as him reraising.

Pretty clearly, any reraise from the villain will have to be allin. If he has a mediocre hand, say AT suited, the object of his reraise is primary as a resteal, to make you fold. Since we can't call a reraise no matter the amount, villain is better off with the stack of 1200 than with any other amount. It accomplishes his goal while putting much less at risk than if he has a stack of 1900. I refer to this as stack efficiency. Villain has maximum stack efficiency at the point where you will fold steal hands to a reraise. Minimum is at the largest stack size he has where a reraise still has to set him allin. It rises again if his stack is larger than the effective stack (ie when he has more chips than you do).

So the original question: When should you steal from your opponents? You should be more inclined to steal when your opponent has low stack efficiency and less inclined to steal when he has high stack efficiency. This will leave you less vulnerable to resteals.

Also, when you actually have a good hand, if you don't think your opponents will be tipped off by bet size variation, you can change your bet size to give them maximum stack efficiency. For example, if you and your opponent both have a stack size of 1700 at 50/100, you might try a raise to 400 instead of to 300. This also has the effect of looking like a donk attempt to prevent a call, but against an aggressive opponent it will actually encourage them to attack you.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Theory: Stack Efficiency in SNGs

it's interesting, but i don't quite get it yet.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:27 AM

Put yourself in villain's shoes. Suppose you have something like A9 suited in the blind at 50/100. It folds to the button with 2000 chips who steal raises you. Do you feel more comfortable playing back at him with 1200 or with 2000?

If you wouldn't consider playing back with A9 suited, increase the hand strength a little.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:48 AM

I understand your concept and I think it is actually a pretty valuable one (though I would imagine all good high stakes players already understand it, intuitively.)

The only thing I have to add is that I'm not sure the term "stack efficiency" is the best name for this concept.

Your efficiency decreases as your stack increases which makes you less likely to resteal which makes it better for your opponent to steal against you. There are too many conceptually disparate motions for this terminology to catch on.

I was discussing this concept with another 2+2er just the other night and mentioned how I thought you could use a stack-size disparity as a lever on the bubble. Maybe "leverage" fits this idea a little better than "efficiency."

I don't know, it's your idea so call it whatever you want. But from a marketing standpoint you may be able come up with a better slogan.

Half of the reason why the PVS gets so much notoriety is because the name is cool.

Maybe you can just call stack efficiency "V"

Irieguy
Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you can just call stack efficiency "V"

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

harrington has the single letter concept market already cornered. it'll have to be the CV.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:08 AM

Is this basically saying that if a player is in the blinds he would like to have a smaller stack (to a point) for his resteal, because it is -ev for 2 big stacks to clash all in?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Put yourself in villain's shoes. Suppose you have something like A9 suited in the blind at 50/100. It folds to the button with 2000 chips who steal raises you. Do you feel more comfortable playing back at him with 1200 or with 2000?

If you wouldn't consider playing back with A9 suited, increase the hand strength a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i understood you correctly, you would prefer playing back with 1200, because if you get called and lose you lost only 1200 whereas if you resteal the pot the result would be the same.

I would be more happy to play with 2000 because if I get called and I win, I win 2000. If I lose the result would be the same (bust).

OTH, with A9s , I would be somewhat less likely to play back with 2000 than with 1200. But if I do as you propose and increase hand strength so that I would play back no matter what, I sure preferred playing with as much as possible up to the amount of villain's stack.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:16 AM

I'd like to know how many players are left and other things before attempting to answer this question, as I believe these are important factors that may affect the villians play.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If i understood you correctly, you would prefer playing back with 1200, because if you get called and lose you lost only 1200 whereas if you resteal the pot the result would be the same.

I would be more happy to play with 2000 because if I get called and I win, I win 2000. If I lose the result would be the same (bust).

[/ QUOTE ]

This has much the same flaw as taking coinflips for big stacks: it hurts you more to lose than it helps you to double up.

In the situation where it's you and the villain with 2000 chips each and 5 other stacks with 1200, here's your fold, successful resteal, and double through equities:

Fold: 0.1825
Resteal: 0.2169
Double through: 0.3163

A successful resteal increases your equity by 18.85%. Doubling through increases your equity by 73.32%.

Same stacks, except you have 1200 and it's one of the other stacks with 2000:

Fold: 0.115
Resteal: 0.1499
Double through: 0.2197

Here restealing increases equity by 30.35% and doubling through by a gigantic 91.04%. Therefore you should be much more willing to resteal with 1200 (making percentage comparisons is correct, since this takes into account what is being put at risk to achieve the gain).

[ QUOTE ]
OTH, with A9s , I would be somewhat less likely to play back with 2000 than with 1200. But if I do as you propose and increase hand strength so that I would play back no matter what, I sure preferred playing with as much as possible up to the amount of villain's stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not quite what I meant. I meant if you aren't willing to play back with A9s at all, ever, then pick a better example for yourself.

There comes a point at which you'd actually prefer them to call than fold to your reraise. At that point, it's a value raise rather than a resteal. But that point comes later for 2000 chips than for 1200 chips (because of the reduced equity gain of a double through). And at all points before that, when it's a true resteal, you should be preferring to resteal with the smaller stack.

EDIT: Just a couple more things:

[ QUOTE ]
If I lose the result would be the same (bust).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your mistake. The result "bust" isn't the same each time any more than the result "double up" is the same each time. You lose more equity when you bust with a bigger stack.

Also, in the maths above I'm ignoring the fact that a bigger reraise causes your opponent to fold a bit more often. I don't believe this affects the conclusion for a couple of reasons.

Firstly the subset of hands which your opponent might do different things on is small compared to the subset of true steal hands (like QJ) where he always folds.

Secondly, if you do get called, doubling up gives you a bigger equity gain with the small stack than the big one. This cushions the blow of getting called a bit more often.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know how many players are left and other things before attempting to answer this question, as I believe these are important factors that may affect the villians play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give an example of a situation in which my theory wouldn't hold?