Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-03-2005, 02:15 AM

Default TT hand, 55s

Any comments?

NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Level:5 Blinds(75/150)
Total number of players : 6
Seat 3: ( $1750 )
Seat 5: ( $2550 )
Seat 6: Villain ( $1945 )
Seat 9: ( $1085 )
Seat 10: ( $525 )
Seat 7: Axes ( $2145 )
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Axes [ Td Tc ]
Axes raises [400].
4 folds.
Villain calls [250].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Js, Jh, 6s ]
Villain checks.
Axes bets [450].
Villain calls [450].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qc ]
Villain checks.
Axes checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 8c ]
Villain is all-In [1095]

Results:
<font color="white">
Axes calls [1095].
Villain shows [ 9s, 9d ] two pairs, jacks and nines.
Axes shows [ Td, Tc ] two pairs, jacks and tens. </font>
Old 11-03-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: TT hand, 55s

Fold the river.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:31 AM

I might have raised a bit more preflop, just so my stack/pot ratio isn't so awkward on the flop.

I'd fold the river. Works out badly here, but this is the only hand you beat and even then it's a bit of an aggressive push.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 AM

I'd push the flop. I understand this is an overbet, but I'm not folding on the flop and a lot of cards make this uncomfortable on the turn. The pot is already half your remaining stack. I want to take this pot down now.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:20 PM

hate it when this happens but i play it exactly the same way. often wonder if im leaking on these. more often then not you get the follk on the turn, but when you dont think you stop the bleeding and check it down.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I dunno. What is calling the PF raise and the flop bet that pushes the river and beats villain? If you think he has a higher PP then fine, but he doesnt play it this way. So what else, AJ/KJ? Sometimes, but they will get in on the turn usually.

Donks will play AK like this too...and any PP the hero beats. The only time the Q will be scary here is when you were already beat on the flop...QJ. AQ/KQ dont call the flop bet (usually).

I think its a decent call...
Old 11-03-2005, 02:06 PM

I probably bet a bit more pre-flop, and then more on the flop, there's nine hundred in the pot, and with a flop like thta, pretty good chance he doesn't have a jack and you have the best hand right now. Make the buys with over cards pay more to draw to them. I maybe bet 600 or so on the flop.

The turn...I don't know. Its a scary card, but he does check it to me. I did highlight the results, but even even before I did, I was thinking that I would have bet the turn. But with the stack you have left, it tough to find a bet that isn't all in and would still allow you to get away if he makes a play like he has AQ. But, part of me says that if he had a queen, he might have lead out at me when he hit. But, if you do check behind, then I agree with the fold on the river. I'd either push the turn and be prepared to hit the lobby and start another one if I'm wrong, or check then fold.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:36 PM

I run into these hands too. I think the biggest problem with these hands is that when a flop comes like that, you immediately think they don't have it, and they think you don't have it, so when you bet big after the flop they believe you're buying the pot...so they call.

The problem is because if you actually had 3 jacks, you would most likely bet less to get some action, or even check here, so your play looks suspicious even though it's not.

Now, a scare card comes on the turn and both check, maybe I would bet on the turn here a significant amount. But since you did check, he knows for sure you don't have the jacks so he feels free to push with AK or a low pocket pair on the river, because he thinks you have nothing. (I haven't looked at the results yet, so I'm not sure what actually happened here).

I would really like a way to play these hands better myself...so any help would be appreciated.