Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Milwaukee\'s Best Light commercials during WSOP

Apologies if these ads have been discussed here before (I did a search and nothing came up, but I rarely visit this forum).

I have a logistics problem with this spot, and it does not involve the fact that Chris Ferguson is living in a refrigerator.

What happens is, every time the Hero goes to get Chris's advice, he makes up some excuse why he needs to leave the room. But then he goes to the fridge and gets a new can of Milwaukee's Best Light beer, and sits back down. If he's going to get a beer, why doesn't he just tell the other guys that he's going to get a beer? Why does he need all those wacky excuses? They see him returning from the fridge with a beer. It's certainly understandable that he's going to get another can (after all, this IS a commercial for beer), so he still doesn't have to reveal that he's getting inside info from Jesus while he's there.

It's very perplexing.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Milwaukee\'s Best Light commercials during WSOP

I assumed that there was a bet going amongst the buddies that any time any of them went for a beer they had to come up with a reason they were getting up besides getting said tasty beverage.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-09-2005, 11:04 AM

You have discovered the complexity and genius of the Milwaukee's Best Light commercials.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 AM

How does Chris know whether to HE or FE when he's inside a refrigerator and didn't see the hand? Of course, we didn't really see the hand either. Fascinating. Deep.

All that time with all that beer in that little fridge and yet Chris never felt compelled to drink any of it. Sure makes me want to run out and buy a case.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does Chris know whether to HE or FE when he's inside a refrigerator and didn't see the hand? Of course, we didn't really see the hand either. Fascinating. Deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

The event is pre-taped, he very easily could've interviewed every player about every hand to know in advance the correct play.

[ QUOTE ]

All that time with all that beer in that little fridge and yet Chris never felt compelled to drink any of it. Sure makes me want to run out and buy a case.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no toilet in the fridge, why would he drink extra in order to need to use a bathroom?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-09-2005, 12:16 PM

I guess because there so manly you get a beer after whatever it is you do around the house.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no toilet in the fridge, why would he drink extra in order to need to use a bathroom?

[/ QUOTE ]
He's gonna have to go sometime anyway, might as well empty a can ahead of time.

How does he charge his cell phone battery?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 PM

You guys are all conveniently side-stepping the question. Ad writers will often come up with an absurd situation and force an audience to suspend their disbelief. In this case, it's the fact that Chris Ferguson is living in a refrigerator, dispensing poker brilliance.

That's not the issue.

Once the audience buys into that "world," the rest of the copy has to fit within the logic of that world. i.e., all the humans are the right size, nobody can fly, men sit around drinking beer and watching poker, etc. And for the other jokes to work, everything else has to fit within our frame of logic. The fact that this guy needs excuses to go get a beer is not explained *within the world of the ad*.

I can only assume you continue to avoid my question by pointlessly fixating on Ferguson in the fridge because you, like me, have no answer.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How does he charge his cell phone battery?

[/ QUOTE ]

See, if you grew up in the ghetto, you'd know the first rule of batteries: they recharge magically in the freezer...

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-09-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that this guy needs excuses to go get a beer is not explained *within the world of the ad*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everything needs be explained. In a film taking place over the course of a month, do you see the character go to the bathroom 100+ times? (I know this is a poor analogy, but I think you're asking a bit much to have Chris Ferguson's Magical Fridge Fantasy Land World explained to the Nth degree -- sometimes, you need to fill in the blanks, as I have with the wager I described earlier.)

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com