Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: More curtains in the blinds

Why? Your hand can get you in trouble (like it did) and you're out of position to both a bad player and a good player. Is it like ripping up money because you can play so well postflop, or do you think that just getting 5:1 on this hand is enough? Would you make this call with this stack in an 800-chipper against unknowns?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:29 AM

I would never dream of folding this for half a bet. Too many good things can happen. Sometimes bad things will too, but I mean if the flop comes queen or ten high I have a premium hand in this situation, in which I can be confident putting all my chips in. This combined with the many possible draws and other good scenarios make this an easy call. I need to earn some chips somehow...folding with QTs against a weak limper getting 5-1 pot odds is not the best way to do that.

It's hard to really explain, I just know that you can't play this tight. btw I would have called if it was offsuit. The 150 chips in the pot are important and I need to fight for them. Again there are many top pair flops that are good for me that will earn me a 150 chip pot, or even more if I decide to check raise. Sometimes it wont work out, but you can't wait around for a stone cold lock when you have just 15x the BB.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:31 AM

Does the presence of a good player in the BB have any bearing on you entering this pot? Also, what's the weakest hand you're completing here?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? Your hand can get you in trouble (like it did) and you're out of position to both a bad player and a good player. Is it like ripping up money because you can play so well postflop, or do you think that just getting 5:1 on this hand is enough? Would you make this call with this stack in an 800-chipper against unknowns?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure curtains has enough confidence in his ability to not get trapped to make this a profitable call. I'd probably call this in an 800 chipper as well. And not that it was likely in curtains thought process at the time, but there's something to be said for learning to play sub-premium hands in order to learn to play more difficult situations post-flop. It'll put some hair on your chest.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the presence of a good player in the BB have any bearing on you entering this pot? Also, what's the weakest hand you're completing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The good player is irrelevant, he has random hand in the BB. Also good players are good to play against in some situations, because they are USUALLY easy to read postflop early in sit and gos. For instance the guy isnt going to bluff me out psotflop from the BB for no reason. This doesn't make him a bad player though. The times when such players really become annoying are when it really counts, which is on the bubble/5 handed when the blinds are getting high.

In any case Im not sure quite how good they are. I just know they have good PP stats and I don't recall them ever doing something that is completely stupid. Also its importnat that they are capable of making tough +EV calls, which Ive seen them do before. A lot of the tight nonstop multitablers will basically let you abuse their blinds nonstop and don't ever adjust against you or even pay attention to whom their opponent is. There are some guys where if I was SB vs BB against them in the 15-30 round, I could raise their blind every sit and go from now for 3 months from now, and they would just play completely normally from the BB, assuming it was just some standard raise. Meaning they would fold almost all hands.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:37 AM

Why is it so hard to believe, that for 1/28th of his stack, the SB would call getting 5:1 odds with a decent hand here?
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 AM

Okay boys I'm sold. Thanks for the info! Sometimes I take being a position nazi too far, I think.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QTs vs a donkey is a pretty strong hand...
Old 12-22-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some guys where if I was SB vs BB against them in the 15-30 round, I could raise their blind every sit and go from now for 3 months from now, and they would just play completely normally from the BB, assuming it was just some standard raise. Meaning they would fold almost all hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol Curtains don't you think that giving away hundreds of HH's and saying things like this to these players (as they likely post or lurk here) may have a negative impact on your expectation in the future?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:02 AM

Nah...I like to play against people who think they know what Im thinking. I'm aware of everything I say and generally aware that some players may be reading it.

Anyway these guys who fold all the time dont care, they love to give away their 15 - 30 chip blind and probably laugh at the idea that anyone would care enough to go out of their way to steal it. They have a supertight style that they don't like to deviate from no matter what. If they start doing stuff like reraising with mediocre values and playing hands they aren't used to playing because of something they read, it should make them uncomfortable, which is usually a good thing for their opponent.

I spend a lot of thought about how to play certain situations against many of the regulars, and I try to figure out which ones know me well and read my posts and so on. For instance I played about 16-20 games today with someone whom Im quite sure is a regular 2+2er and probably reads some stuff I say. I know he sees most of what I write.