Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: What books do I want to read while I vacation?

[ QUOTE ]
Different Seasons - Stephen King (for Shawshank Redemption and 'The Body')

[/ QUOTE ]

Apt Pupil and The Breathing Method from Different Seasons are fine stories as well.

If you like crime novels and haven't read Dennis Lehane, get Mystic River and the first Kenzie/Gennaro story which is called "A Drink Before The War." Fantastic stuff. The Kenzie/Gennaro novels (Drink Before The War, Darkness Take My Hand, Sacred, Gone Baby Gone, Prayers For Rain) really need to be read in order. His books Mystic River and Shutter Island are not related to the rest. They are fine novels as well. Mystic River had a movie based on it a few years back.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, back in the days where I used to be less stupid, I read a lot of Le Carre as well. I am intrigued by the Lehane guy.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:08 PM

"cryptonomicon -neal stephenson "

That is a 1,000+ page book so bring a crane to help you carry it to the beach. I personally liked that book but I'd suggest Snow Crash or Diamond Age for books of his that you can acutally finish by the end of a normal vacation from the same author.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 PM

African Genesis - Robert Audrey
The Naked Ape - Desmond Howard
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Horton Hears a Who. - Dr Seuss

LLL
Old 12-20-2005, 04:09 PM

Finnegan's Wake
Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also The Processor, the Banker and the Suicide King is the next book I want to grab , its about the "big game".

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finished it. Don't bother, or at least wait for the paperback. The story is mildly entertaining, but the writing is just boring as hell. I wish Alvarez or Holden or even McManus would have written it instead.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 PM

If you are into graphic depictions of underrage gay sex and gay snuff/sm then you DO NOT want to miss "The Sluts"!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, am I the only one who thought that freakonomics was way overrated? The book discussed some interesting topics but did not provide much quantitative analysis and I thought dumbed the material down in order to appeal to a wider audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you completely. The book was a little weak for people with a good understanding of analytical thinking, statistics, etc...
Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, am I the only one who thought that freakonomics was way overrated? The book discussed some interesting topics but did not provide much quantitative analysis and I thought dumbed the material down in order to appeal to a wider audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you completely. The book was a little weak for people with a good understanding of analytical thinking, statistics, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

also, am i the only one who didn't read it, knowing this would be the case and that it would just piss me off?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:25 PM

If you like palahniuk, try lullaby and invisible monsters if you haven't read them (in that order). I really like East of Eden by John Steinbeck and am in the middle of Winter of Our Discontent and it is real good so far. The Ender's Game series and the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card are also real nice quick reads when you just want to be entertained. I think everyone knows about Ender's Game, Alvin Maker is about the U.S. when it was still colonial. All of the folklore is actually true and there is different history of events. It is actualy really good.
If you can deal with the length, I definatly recommend War and Peace.
If you like Philosophy try Zeno and the Tortoise. It is a collection of summaries, opinoin, and other stuff on some of the best philosophers in history.