Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 01:41 AM

Default So what poker software would you like to see?

Alright, inspired by PokerTracker and PokerAce and being a software developer who hates his job, I desire to put together some sort of software package to aide serious online poker players, much like PT and PAHUD.

Obviously creating a database program like PT or another HUD would not be the best way to go, so the question has to be raised...

What type of software do you WANT to see for poker? What tool do you just wish you had? It can be something that you use during live play obviously or something you use during non-playing to analyze your play.

Obviously only software that do not break the T&C of the major sites would be of long term value...

So any ideas?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: So what poker software would you like to see?

Something I'd really like to see is software that imports a database and evaluates how hot/cold you're running. Something like pokergrader's 'potential profit' that (unlike pokergrader) is separatable from playing skill. I have a few ideas on how this could be theoretically achieved, but they'd probably fall apart under scrutiny. Does anyone have any ideas of their on how one can measure luck?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:56 AM

This seems plausible, the way I'm seeing it in my head

You enter a range of hands (say 1K, 5K, 10K, whatever)

It then goes through and analyzes the card distribution. It basically then does a rough EV calculation for each hand, based on either predetermined numbers or user custom numbers.

(AKA: For ever AA I expect +2.8 BB, for ever KK I expect + 2.0 BB, etc.) and it would also calulate junk hands being -EV.

It would then show you what your pure EV results are for the set of hands. Thus a set of hands jam packed with big pocker pairs would have a higher EV than one with just a bunch of junk.

This is PREFLOP analysis only though and does not factor in how you play the actual hands of course.

The only other idea I had was a "What's he got?" predictor

Basically it would use opponent modeling combined with current hand activity and board information and show you a % break down of possible holdings.

For example: A 40% VPIP / 3% PFR guy check raises your QQ on a board of TT3.

The program would then find similiar VPIP/PRF people and similiar situations (I have an overpair to a paired board, when checkraised by this type of player what % of the time do they have trips?)
Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 AM

this will get decent discussion here (as it would in any of the poker forums), but it should go in the software forum.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:00 AM

It isn't a "software" idea. But still...

Yuu could write a code that shows how much e.v. one expects to make drawing to a certain hand. Take a gutshot draw. You drag a HH through it, and it tells you your +/-ev on that draw. It can show you how much you ACTUALLY made, and compare to the theoretical EV. One can then analyze this info to see we are drawing with the right odds, and the with the optimal conditions (last to act, not drawing dead, weak loose opponents...)

Also, calculate how frequently a draw has come in. if a draw should mathematcally come in around 8%, how many times has it REALLY come in? LIke flushes, or boats, or twopair/trip draws....

a code that shows how many times you drew to your hand and lost.

I dont' know - maybe this is clutter, but I thought i'd chip in.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:07 AM

I want to be able to see thru the hot pokerchicks' clothes. Put an x-ray vision backflow to their monitors.

I should stop posting now.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:37 AM

I would really love to see a $$->BB-Converter-HUD-Thingy. I sometimes fail to count the bets going in because I play on another table etc. and then I have to do unnecessary arithmetics. I know dividing by 2 isn't much of a challenge, but it's unnerving if you are trying to think about so many other things at the same time. In addition to that, I would love an overlay, that displays each players stack in BB instead of $$. It would also help me a lot not to tilt.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't a "software" idea. But still...

Yuu could write a code that shows how much e.v. one expects to make drawing to a certain hand. Take a gutshot draw. You drag a HH through it, and it tells you your +/-ev on that draw. It can show you how much you ACTUALLY made, and compare to the theoretical EV. One can then analyze this info to see we are drawing with the right odds, and the with the optimal conditions (last to act, not drawing dead, weak loose opponents...)

Also, calculate how frequently a draw has come in. if a draw should mathematcally come in around 8%, how many times has it REALLY come in? LIke flushes, or boats, or twopair/trip draws....

a code that shows how many times you drew to your hand and lost.

I dont' know - maybe this is clutter, but I thought i'd chip in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The EV calculator idea would be good, and I think it's plausable. Also make it where you can enter the HH to a certain point and have it calculate the EV of certain actions as you select them. Even have it where you could add the % that you think a villan would raise, fold etc..

We should all know how to calculate EV but sometimes it's a lot of paperwork that seems easy enough a program could be written around it by one of those people smarter then me.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would really love to see a $$->BB-Converter-HUD-Thingy. I sometimes fail to count the bets going in because I play on another table etc. and then I have to do unnecessary arithmetics. I know dividing by 2 isn't much of a challenge, but it's unnerving if you are trying to think about so many other things at the same time. In addition to that, I would love an overlay, that displays each players stack in BB instead of $$. It would also help me a lot not to tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent idea, although this would be an easy addition to PAHud. In fact, why isn't this a feature of PAHud?????
Old 11-22-2005, 07:35 AM

Ok i conclude i don't have the time to create this rather basic program, so i'm handing the idea over to anyone who wants to take it up.

Problem: When playing 11/3%PFR's you often unsure what hands the 3% consists of.

Solution: Querying the PT database you can establish all the hands opponent has raised with, Limped with, aswell as if he's position aware.

Program functions:
-Query Database for all hands Limped/Raised & Positions.
-Compact information into textfile/Database for efficent results finding.
-Display information in a panel: "PFR: AA-KK/AKs,
Limp: Ax's, 22-QQ, A+(K-T)o"
-Read previous hand history to establish player position, highlighting the most likly hands raised in the players position IF HE IS AWARE(This can be found by a few functions to analyse if he raises more hands in MP3>BTN as opposoed to EP1>Mp2.

Its a players HUD as opposed to a bot, As i think its strongly advised to keep away from any bot like functions.

Anyhow feel free to take this project on, i think PA could easily support this feature but wheter he has time for it or not... I don't know.

I think numbers(PA/GT) Help, But havign the information presented in text form is 10x better.

If you do take this on, drop me a PM for additional ideas etc. You can have a "Thanks to:" on the about form also [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]