Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Default someone make sense of this for me please (LC)

hey so i'm playing the 2/5 at the borgata... i'm just wondering if someone can explain this guy's thought process to me. after losing 20k+ in 3 big pots going in as the massive favorite in the 10/25, i just had to laugh at how bad i was running. after this hand, i burst out laughing for a good 10 minutes because it was perfect. three times i had made a baby flush on the turn and had a 4th flush card come on the river. anyway enough bad beat moaning... please someone make sense of this for me, or just have a good laugh.

the table is giving me no respect as i've literally come from the must move and blown 200 bucks being compeltely crazy real quick...

a guy with 1k+ (i have him covered) raises to 15.. i call with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], one other caller.

flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

he bets 25, i make it 75. he calls.

turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

he checks i bet 150 he calls

river is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

he bets 300, i shake my head and fold. he very proudly tables A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and for the next 10 minutes the table chatters about how badly i got outplayed. i proceed to want to kill myself.

question: which idiot play did he make? did he call without odds to draw to a draw he didn't even have just to bluff? or did he think he have the best hand then bluff the river anyway? or was it something else?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: someone make sense of this for me please (LC)

he didn't want to show down a loser.

he was calling for value and then opted to bluff the river.. this really isn't that rare of a play

sometimes i'll call a raise with an AJ and call two bets on a jack hi board.. then i'll get a pretty good read that the guy had QQ/KK

if the 3rd flush card hits the river i'll just play it like i had a flush rather than check down a probable loser
Old 11-29-2005, 04:38 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...mp;Board=beats
Old 11-29-2005, 05:11 PM

that would make sense except that he said he thought i was bluffing the whole way... i wouldn't just randomly bluff with someone to act behind me or in general... if i was going to bluff it was probably with a big spade...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Like I said he was calling with the suspicion that he had the best hand.

Then he was afraid that perhaps you have rivered a lame flush. He didn't want to check down a loser so he bluffed.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:15 PM

He did not think you were bluffing. He did not think anything other than he had AK and flopped top pair and that hand is borderline unfoldable.

BTW, I think you may be one of the few players in that game who folds your hand on the end (which is g00t) but you cannot outthink opponents who do not think.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:20 PM

He thought he had the best hand then bluffed the river once he felt like he was behind since he didn't have a spade. You probably should have just killed him right there.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:38 PM

people make plays that make no sense. it's how we make money.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:41 PM

he didn't want K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to drag the pot, which is what he put you on!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:45 PM

hahahahaha