Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Getting it right on the turn.

The latest thinig that Tommy Angelo wrote that had an impression on my follows:

[ QUOTE ]
Being checked to on the turn in headsup and threeway pots after being the preflop and flop aggressor is my life. Getting it right is why I'm there. Best advice I can give to you on this matter is, pay attention, to everything, always, especially yourself, so that when they check to you, you are free and ready...

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I play the more I'm convinced that against reasonable players this is where me make out most money. Betting the turn or checking, calling turn checkraises or not. The river almost always plays itself, the flop is more interetsing then the river but a lot of the time plays itself, I feel I make the most mistakes on the turn. So for the next while I'm goign to dedicate myself to only posting hands that involve me being checked to on the turn in a 3handed or heads up pot, and having to decide whether to bet and call a checkraise, bet and fold to a checkraise, check and call a river bet, or check and fold to a river bet.

Starting out...

My opponent on this hand is a little too loose and a little too aggressive, 27/13ish.

I open UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] only the SB and villian in the BB call.

flop is 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, villian checks, I bet, SB folds, villian folds.

turn is a 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
villian checks, and I do what?

In this hand I see my options (if the river blanks)as:

Betcall call the river
Betcall fold the river
check and call the river
check and fold the river.

Finally if I check and an A or K comes off, and my oppoenents do I call or raise?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Getting it right on the turn.

notice that the villain is loose and called your raise from the big blind, this means he can have hands such as, 65,86,63,and 53. Which is why I think you should bet the turn with the intention of folding to a checkraise, and if the villain calls the turn, you should check it down unimproved on the river. And if the villain calls the turn and donks the river, you should also call since he may be betting one of his broken draws. If you check the turn and an ace or king hits and the villain bets into you, I would just call. Lets say an Ace hits the river, Heres my reasoning why you should just call. Given that you checked the turn, you may have induced the villain to bluff, so there is no point in raising his bluffs since youll never get called, and you may have avoided the villains turn checkraise if he has 77 or 4x or even QQ if hes passive preflop or he has A7 or AQ and improved on the river, and you wouldnt want to raise these hands. The villain sees the same river card as you do, so hes either bluffing or value betting a hand that can beat AK. I would only raise the river if the villain was a complete idiot.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Getting it right on the turn.

If he is aggressive and he check/called the flop, I'd bet again on the turn. You may push him off a small pocket pair or 7. He'll probably check raise you with a Q or 4. Anything else you want him to call since you are ahead. If he check raises, I would probably fold. If he calls, I'd check behind on the river unless I make my hand. On the river, you aren't going to get any more bets out of him if you are ahead, and the chances of him folding a pair for one more bet on the river aren't enough to make a bet worthwhile. If a club came on the river, I may call a bet as an aggressive player will often bet at a river scare card. Depends on the player and my read.