Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM

Default lag hand, live 2-5

i had about 1000 in front of me
villian had about 500

people on the table were loose/weak/passive, not tricky at all

villian is one of those loose/weak/passive players

i m on button with 34 suited, full table, 5 limpers to me and i raised just to mix it up, made it 25 to call, blinds folded and 4 outa 5 limpers called.

flop- k59 rainbow

villian (utg+1) checked and everyone else checked, i bet 80 wanted to take the pot down (maybe should ve bet more? but i figure since they were simple players, they probably would call if they have something, bet if they had a king, and fold if they have nothing), villian thought about it for 30 seconds and called everyone else folded.

turn- 6

villian checked, i bet 140 (same reason as above why i didnt make a pot size bet, but should i ve taken a free card? i thought that if i checked and i missed on the river it would be impossible for me to make him fold since my turn check would mean weak, so if i check that means i can only win by hitting my straight, so rather than to bluff on the river ( when he is more likely to call), i bluff now so it gave me two chances to win, i thought by being aggressive i can make him fold a lot of hands include top pair weak kicker, and i could fold if he raises all in, any thoughts?

thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: lag hand, live 2-5

You're going to get a 100,000 criticisms about your play... but I kind of like it. If you hit your straight and have to show-down... everyone will be confused about your play and raising standards for the next 6 months. If you miss and shows a pair or comes over the top on the turn you can fold and curse your A-Q that totally missed.

The only thing I wonder is the guys chip stack. $25 preflop, $75 on the flop, and now $140 on the turn (around $700 in the pot) it's going to be virtually impossible to make him fold the river when you put him all in for his remaining $260 (he's going to be getting almost 4 to 1 possibly 5 to 1 to call you with any pair)
Old 08-29-2005, 07:12 PM

You do not include your table image in your description of the hand. I am guessing you have been betting alot and this player might be ready to call you down with something. In my experiance if someone thinks too long about a flop call, it usually indicates that they are committed to call the turn. Either take the free card or make a bigger turn bluff. I lean toward abandoning the hang.
You might win with a bluff, you might not, but if your at a table of weak/tight/simple players, why not sit back and wait for a place where you are more certain. A big part of playing LAG is knowing when to backoff a bluff.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM

On the turn, now that we actually have a shot at hitting something, I think this is auto check behind - We know he's not on any draw on that board and the turn card changes nothing for him - If he checkraises all in, you can't call - maybe you can, but it would suck. So check the turn.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:59 PM

oh sorry totally forgot about table images

people on the table are really weak, they know that i m winning and they see me take down a lot of pots but they do not understand why, and i doubt that they even care.
but i would put myself as a super LAG player because i was tryin to take advantage of those players who are not really experienced, they just out there to have fun.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're going to get a 100,000 criticisms about your play... but I kind of like it. If you hit your straight and have to show-down... everyone will be confused about your play and raising standards for the next 6 months. If you miss and shows a pair or comes over the top on the turn you can fold and curse your A-Q that totally missed.

The only thing I wonder is the guys chip stack. $25 preflop, $75 on the flop, and now $140 on the turn (around $700 in the pot) it's going to be virtually impossible to make him fold the river when you put him all in for his remaining $260 (he's going to be getting almost 4 to 1 possibly 5 to 1 to call you with any pair)

[/ QUOTE ]

ahha thank you for the compliment

and yes i know it would be impossible to bluff him on the river, that is why i planned if he called the turn check the river when i miss, i would just check after, and i can even fold when he reraises me on the turn so i thought that bet was pretty decent, enough to take down a pot from a weak opponent without being pot committed.