Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Deception at its finest? or not getting value for the hand?

5/5 NL, 10 players.

Thier are alot of preflop limpers in this game.

Preflop
Utg+1 calls, fold, fold, Hero Raises to $25 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], middle position calls, button calls, blinds and utgh+1 call.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checks around to the Button who bets $50.
utgh+1 Calls, Hero Calls, Middle position calls. Pot is at $325

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
ugh+1 checks, Hero bets $30, Middle position raises to $130, Button calls, uth+1 folds, THE POT IS NOW AT 515, with a $100 call to hero. Hero pushes all in for another $600.

After 5 minutes of debating the middle position folds, It takes another 10 minutes after his fold for the button to lay down.

Okay my reasoning for pushing in so much on the turn was for some deception and a little bit of protection. I under bet the pot by alot on the turn, once re-raised and had a caller behind, the pot had reached an amount that I would be happy to win right now. By pushing in 600 (equal to the whole amount of the pot) I am over betting for the usual nut flush hand. This bet puzzeled the table and almost won me 600 more. I know that I could have won maybe 300 off of one of the remaining players but I wanted to make the odds for calling incorrect for someone with trips or two pair, who can still draw out on me.
All thoughts welcome on this hands.
Cheers
Old 06-17-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Deception at its finest? or not getting value for the hand?

I don't like it....the problem with it is that you've made a call very difficult for anyone and I don't like doing that with the nuts. As long as the board doesn't pair you could get a real nice value bet in on the river and have no fear in losing the hand. I gamble a little here figuring i'm ahead and hopefully will stay that way. I'd either call, or reraise a little bit, say 200. A fourth diamond could come on the river that would kill your action so I favor a smaller turn reraise and a value bet on a non-scary river.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:33 PM

Betting <10% of the pot and pushing looks like you have a strong hand, and I would think a fish could even pick up on this. If you bluff like this, and your opponents know this, I guess a case could be made for your play.

It seems like a pretty passive game(just from this hand) so I think a bet of around 200 looks good on the turn. If the board pairs on the river you aren't pot committed so you can easily fold if you think someone played 2pair or a set the way they did. Unless there is more than one caller from your 200 bet, they aren't getting good odds to fill up.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:36 PM

You bet $30 into a $325 pot on the turn with the nuts. Why don't you just play with your cards face up? Weak lead/big raise is too obvious. I lead much harder the first go around. Would have served you right if everyone called your $30 and the board paired on the river.

The way you played it, the big raise is about the only option.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:41 PM

If I was one of the players in the pot I would assign a high probability to you having the nuts the way you played it, a low probabilty that you badly played top set on the flop. Therefore if I am sitting with JJ, I now am drawing to 10 outs to your nut flush and 1 out to your top set. I think you defined your hand to everyone else and maybe next time make a continuation bet on the flop or a stronger lead on the turn.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:39 PM

You pulled the trigger to quickly, you have a nearly unbeatable hand. Go over the top for 300. I might even set a bear trap and smooth call have some "gamble' in you and slow play this. While in general i am against slowplaying this opportunities begs for it. You have the nutz, if the board pairs [censored] happens man its poker but you cost yourself at least 300 there if not more. Learn from it. All in is a great move, but it is used too often to loosly, keep that in mind
Old 06-17-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay my reasoning for pushing in so much on the turn was for some deception

[/ QUOTE ]

Wheres the deception? I didnt know reraising all in looked weak...
Old 06-17-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You bet $30 into a $325 pot on the turn with the nuts. Why don't you just play with your cards face up?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-17-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You pulled the trigger to quickly, you have a nearly unbeatable hand. Go over the top for 300. I might even set a bear trap and smooth call have some "gamble' in you and slow play this. While in general i am against slowplaying this opportunities begs for it. You have the nutz, if the board pairs [censored] happens man its poker but you cost yourself at least 300 there if not more. Learn from it. All in is a great move, but it is used too often to loosly, keep that in mind

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this - is it better to cost yourself $300 or $600 (the pot)?

I like a stronger lead on the turn and then if called or raised you have an easy all-in and your opponents have an even tougher laydown.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:00 PM

If someone came over the top for that more money wouldnt it seem a little fishy to you? The deception is in the fact that I bet so much instead of betting $300, which would get callers and build the pot more. If someone check raised you for another couple hundred wouldnt you be more worried about their hand in general then some who over bets the pot. The over bet throws off everyone and BLUFF starts to creep into their head. I made a tiny bet on the turn and then a 600 all in, I was trying to give them the impression that I have no clue how to bet and it seemed to work for the rest of the night, when I got great value on my real style of betting.

The point of this was basically, I was willing to risk loosing an extra 300 when going all in, with the chance of winning 600. When they folded I still got a great image of a hack who has no clue how to bet. Deception