Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Default how many of you buy medical/dental insurance? And how much is it?

The reason I'm asking is because recently I went to the dentist and was charged an outrageous amount. It's my teeth so I'm just going to pay what they say but it got me to thinking about medical ins.

I'm in my mid 20's and am healthy but it still costs quite a bit and the one's that are reasonably priced have a really high copay for every visit. So I'm just wondering what others have found out there that is reasonably priced
Old 05-20-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: how many of you buy medical/dental insurance? And how much is it?

Hi NL,

Medical Insurance is all about catastrophic illness, in my opinion, for a person in their 20's who is healthy. Let's say it will cost you $3000-6000 per year for a medical insurance policy: It you get really really sick or hit by a car, will you die waiting for treatment because you do not have the insurance card in your pocket? Will you owe the hospital a fortune (if you are lucky enough to get decent treatment) so they take everything from you? Or maybe you have middle class parents who do not want you to
die in a public hospital? Will the $100k or $200k bill clean them out?

I am lucky enough to have made some $$$, and these are the reasons I pay for my grad school son's insurance policy. Those were the questions I asked myself.

Some stories: My rich uncle did not believe in insurance (after he fought through the islands (e.g. Tarawa) in WWII
he wasn't quite himself afterwards). When his wife got sick in her 60's he went to the hospital with a suitcase full of money. He was much less rich afterwards. Before my old dad died a few yrs ago, his insurance policies (he was a veteran of WWII also and a retired govt employee) paid the hospital about $750k for his last months.

I love America, I grew up in the projects and I now run a corporation. But given our priorities, which is a topic for another forum, if you can afford basic catastrophe insurance and don't have it you are very foolish. If you cannot, I am sorry.

MK
Old 05-20-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Medical Insurance is all about catastrophic illness, in my opinion, for a person in their 20's who is healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes and no. I had my appendix removed three years ago. It tallied about $20k. I was certainly grateful I had insurance.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Medical Insurance is all about catastrophic illness, in my opinion, for a person in their 20's who is healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes and no. I had my appendix removed three years ago. It tallied about $20k. I was certainly grateful I had insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!! 6 months ago for 22 K. I paid 2.

Krishan
Old 05-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Chief,

I consider $20k catastrophic for some people. While it is on the low side moneywise, what if you wait for 5 hours at a public facility in a big city to be examined and the appendix bursts? Let's take Bellevue vs NYU Medical Center 5 blocks apart. In NYU, with your medical card, you will get quick service. At Bellevue, you might die. That's a catastrophe, n'est-ce pas?

MK
Old 05-20-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider $20k catastrophic for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I guess I should have realized. I just wanted to point out for the OP if he didn't realize it that even fairly routine things can be very pricey at times.

[ QUOTE ]
what if you wait for 5 hours at a public facility in a big city to be examined and the appendix bursts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Believe me, that sucks. Except I was in Philly not NYC. But the ironically ~5 hours was excruciating and I was begging for morphine. If not for that it probably wouldn't have been close to that cost but 5 nights in the hospital tends to run up the bill.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chief,

I consider $20k catastrophic for some people. While it is on the low side moneywise, what if you wait for 5 hours at a public facility in a big city to be examined and the appendix bursts? Let's take Bellevue vs NYU Medical Center 5 blocks apart. In NYU, with your medical card, you will get quick service. At Bellevue, you might die. That's a catastrophe, n'est-ce pas?

MK

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn if that's really how it works I'm going to buy and then cancel med. insurance just for the card.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi NL,

Medical Insurance is all about catastrophic illness, in my opinion, for a person in their 20's who is healthy. Let's say it will cost you $3000-6000 per year for a medical insurance policy: It you get really really sick or hit by a car, will you die waiting for treatment because you do not have the insurance card in your pocket? Will you owe the hospital a fortune (if you are lucky enough to get decent treatment) so they take everything from you? Or maybe you have middle class parents who do not want you to
die in a public hospital? Will the $100k or $200k bill clean them out?

I am lucky enough to have made some $$$, and these are the reasons I pay for my grad school son's insurance policy. Those were the questions I asked myself.

Some stories: My rich uncle did not believe in insurance (after he fought through the islands (e.g. Tarawa) in WWII
he wasn't quite himself afterwards). When his wife got sick in her 60's he went to the hospital with a suitcase full of money. He was much less rich afterwards. Before my old dad died a few yrs ago, his insurance policies (he was a veteran of WWII also and a retired govt employee) paid the hospital about $750k for his last months.

I love America, I grew up in the projects and I now run a corporation. But given our priorities, which is a topic for another forum, if you can afford basic catastrophe insurance and don't have it you are very foolish. If you cannot, I am sorry.

MK

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I love hearing success stories. What kind of business do you run? Just curious. One day I hope to not work for "the man".

Edit: Insurance is expensive. I have $100/week for me and my family. Basically a car payment.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:04 PM

What happens if you don't have insurance and the hospital treats you and then you decide to simply not pay them?

What can they do?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:09 PM

$100/week for a family is cheap comparatively. My son's policy costs that much for him alone in NYC. And I pay much much more per family for my employees.

About me: I run a computer firm, 8 figure company, very profitable (people often forget that they are in business to make profits, I hate that). I hated HATED the poverty of hand to mouth when growing up. I am smart, but I have been very very lucky. And I do work my ass off. And then I play online about 5 hours while watching TV every night with the wife [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MK