Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Does cash play on the table in NL?

Playing a $1-$2 NL game when this hand came up. I'm on the button with QTo 4 limpers to me and I limp in as well. Flop comes 89A rainbow. Checked around to the CO who bets $5. call, call, I call, sb calls, bb calls, and ep folds.

Turn is a J completing the rainbow.

Checked again to co, who again bets $5, same action on the flop.

The river is a 2.

This time co, bets $25, folded to me and I make it $100, folded back to the co, he asks me how much I have left, I tell him $150, he says I raise $140. I ask the dealer if I can go in my pocket for more cash he says no, I ask if I can borrow chips from a player on the table and he says no as well, is this the proper ruling? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Does cash play on the table in NL?

Yes it's the proper ruling. The game is played with table stakes, meaning you can only play with what you have on the table. No digging into your pocket.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:11 PM

The dealer made the proper ruling. You cannot go into your pocket during the hand to get more money. You can only go all in for what you have in front of you. Since you had 150 in front of you (on the table) that is all you can call and win. You have to put all of the money you are willing to bet on a certain hand on the table before the hand begins. As for borrowing chips from a player it depends on the place. Where i deal we allow people to complete bets for others (3/6, 5/10 limit) that are all in if they need a few bucks but not an all in raise.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:38 PM

Thanks, I suspected it was the correct ruling, but just wanted to make sure.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:57 PM

Lol. I thought you were kidding at first, but you really didn't know. But I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at how your opponent must have felt when you were asking the dealer if first you could go to your pocket for cash and then your neighbor for chips. Not too good, I'm guessing!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:36 PM

lol I'm a newbie to live play, so I'm still a little bit fuzzy on all the rules. As for my opponent, he was actually the one that asked the dealer if I can buy chips from him, and when the dealer refused I threw in my last $150 in. He said, "You're very lucky, you should thank this dealer, I have aces full", I just stood there shocked did I misread the board? Nope the board didn't pair, I show my straight and take it down.

He then starts berating the dealer, "you dumb ass why'd you put the cards so far away from me, you owe me $300". He must have mistaken the 9 for an 8. I think he just got a little excited when he saw that third ace hit the board. I really felt bad but couldn’t help myself, and started cracking up, then the whole table starts cracking up, and within the next 30 minutes he losses another $500, half of it to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], good times.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:53 PM

Default It is the same on-line.

If you haven't noticed you can't add to your chips on-line in the middle of your hand. If you bring additional money to your table balance, it doesn't appear or allow you to bet it until the next hand.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:09 PM

I think the Bellagio does let money on the table play, like if you have a hundred under your stack. But it can only be Franklins and has to be on the table before the start of the hand.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:21 PM

I hope you realize why you can't do this. If you don't, I'll play you only having the bare minimum on the table. When I have a tough call to make, I'm ALL IN BABY. When I have the nuts, keep whipping out the money until it can't stop!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:30 PM

Yeah defnitley makes sense now. Thanks.