Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Check this down? Orleans Sunday LHE

First time playing the Orlean's Sunday 7:00 Limit hold'em tourney ($63+50 gets you T500/T800) and went out on this hand. Started with ~80 (a little smaller than usual on account of Father's day). We're down to about 30 at level 11 with blinds of 200/500.

I'm in the BB with a severely reduced stack (my trip Ks lost to rivered Broadway straights against two all-ins a few hands before). I have enough for maybe 1 or 2 more rounds.

Pre-flop, UTG player to my left goes all in for a partial raise. Big stack calls in the cut off and I look down to see KJd. I raise to see if I can get heads up with the all-in but the LP player calls. (question 1: should I have just called?)

Flop comes Kc high with two clubs. I bet here and get called. (question 2: should I have checked?)

Turn comes another baby club. I bet, he calls. (question 3: should I shut down now that it's unlikely I can drive out the LP?).

River is the Ace of clubs. I go all in for my remaining T200. (question 4: save the 200 and use it for my SB next hand?)

Should I have tried to check it down with the LP player in the hope of removing the all-in player? We're still at 30 and I think too early to worry about moving up a place? I am definitely under the average stack size so I needed to build my stack.

Turns out that the All-in had QQ with the Qc to win the main ot and the LP player had JJ with Jc to take the side pot.

I realize that between the two of them there were plenty of cards that could have taken me down (any club[8], Queen[2] or Jack[1]), but I feel good knowing that I was ahead when I got all but the last of my money in there.

Thanks for your time
Old 06-24-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Check this down? Orleans Sunday LHE

Don't check this hand down. You have 30 players left, so not worth changing play for tournament purpose. Maybe once you are in the money it will be a strategy to employ. Didn't really concentrate on your play of the hand, just answering your question on checking down. In Sklansky tourney book, he recommends not checking down except for very special circumstances. Even when in the money.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Check this down? Orleans Sunday LHE

You need to worry about yourself first. You have a decent hand, you got a good flop, you need to treat this as your last stand. If the river hadn't made both hands you'd be in good shape, so you can't feel bad about your play.

As for saving the last 200, I'd imagine he would have bet the second nut if you had checked anyway.