Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Paradise 500NL hand (TPTK on one colour board)

Hello !

I hope to get some comments on this hand as I have no idea as I shouldve played it.
Villain is regular and 2+2'er. He is good and big winner in this game. He reads me well. He likes to play his strong hands fast. He calls 100% of my preflop raises if we are headsup (maybe this indicates that he hasnt much respect for my play)

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2.50 BB (4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hero ($978.50)
BB ($708.75)
UTG ($2730.50)
Button ($276.00)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $12.5</font>, BB calls $7.50.

Flop: ($25) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $55</font>, Hero calls $39.

Turn: ($135) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB bets $120</font>

Should I reraise the flop ? And what to do on the turn ?

Best wishes
Old 07-28-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Paradise 500NL hand (TPTK on one colour board)

First, I think the reason Villian is calling all your raises pre-flop is because they are so small. He needs to call a raise of only 7.50 to have a shot at winning 978.50. Your raise gets you no information about your opponents hand. I don't know what range of hands you are raising, but I am guessing this raise gave you opponent a loose read on your hand.

I think your opponent put you on Ace with a big kicker based on your betting and knows you won't call all the way with that hand. The odds of him flopping a made flush are not good, but the odds of him betting at you if he were to hold a high club or even on a pure bluff are reasonable.

I think making a huge three-bet raise is a great move here. There is a good chance he was bluffing here and you might end the hand. Since he is calling with any two, the odds are very bad he has exactly the ace of clubs. Since he is putting you on an ace, your bet will at least suggest to him that you maybe have the ace of clubs, which is good. Remeber, odds are still good that you have the best hand.

I think the key to this hand is understanding that no matter what, on a board like this, usually neither player is going to be comfortable with their holdings. That is why it is important to be the aggressor. If I were villian and really trusted my reads, I might be willing to four bet all-in on a pure bluff in this siuation.

Considering that, you could ALMOST make a case that your only goal in this hand is to be the one who makes the all-in bet and try to do it as early in the hand as possible. Unless your opponent flopped the nuts, no one wants to call an all-in bet on the flop on that board.
You need to know your table image to answer this one right. This hand is probably a good example of a hand where both players are playing their table image first, the cards second.

But really, if you just raised more pre-flop, you might have avoided this whole debacle.

Hope this wasn't too long-winded.