Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Is it bad manners to raise playing B&M?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
especially the elderly who no longer have a real need for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think senior citizen discounts are quite *that* helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is they probably have lots of money after a lifetime of toiling for "The Man." That and they're going to die pretty soon anyway.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:09 PM

I played in a game in a small cardroom in california like this one time. I attribute it to people being social. They all were regulars and were using the game for pure recreation. They were friends with the dealers too. Win a $20 pot, tip $2-$3. Win an $80 pot, tip $5. I did not participate in this behavior, but I also did not play as aggressively as I could so that I would not drive away the players.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:16 PM

If you plan on playing there often, go a little easier than normal. It'll be beneficial in the long run. But in general, they're probably just bad as well as all being friends. Take as much as you can without wrecking the game (i.e. checkraising too often ).

Where was this ? Can I come next time ? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you plan on playing there often, go a little easier than normal. It'll be beneficial in the long run. But in general, they're probably just bad as well as all being friends. Take as much as you can without wrecking the game (i.e. checkraising too often ).

Where was this ? Can I come next time ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply everyone. I did checkraise a couple of times and the action got a lot more suspicious of me. Whenever I'd enter a pot there seemed to be a lot more checking. Oh well. I don't want to piss these people off, but it's hard not to play with some of the few poker skills I have. And yes, Fishman, come to Northern Washington and I'll show you a lake of fat fish. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 04:11 PM

Oh no! I'm getting visions from the episode of the Simpsons where the old folks get on the bus to Atlantic City...

"GAMBOL!,GAMBOL!,GAMBOL!GAMBOL!"

Seriously though, it is both funny and depressing listening to old people at the table speak of how they are "spending their kids inheritence."
Old 12-09-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i will not raise/reraise the nuts if i think ill make more money by just calling,

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement makes zero sense whatsoever. If you raise someone and then reraise, you have netted youself a minimum of one more big bet on the river with the raise, 2 bets if they raise you, and 3 bets if they call your reraise. So how would you possibly concieve that you could get more money by "just calling instead of raising and reraising"?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i will not raise/reraise the nuts if i think ill make more money by just calling,

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement makes zero sense whatsoever. If you raise someone and then reraise, you have netted youself a minimum of one more big bet on the river with the raise, 2 bets if they raise you, and 3 bets if they call your reraise. So how would you possibly concieve that you could get more money by "just calling instead of raising and reraising"?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 players, you're player #2. #1 bets. If you raise, #3,4,5 will fold to 2 bets getting you just one more bet from player #1. If you call, and two of the three remaining players call, you come out ahead.

If it was heads-up of course you'd raise.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:55 PM

I can see your point with more players to act behind you. I actually hadn't considered that.

But heads up the situation makes no sense, lol.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:04 PM

KowCiller...middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday. mmm... shouldn't you be workin???...does your boss and mother know about your addiction to poker?

Now to the poster...This is certainly not typical for low limit B&M. In fact typically LL B&M games are loose/aggr and is the type game you dream of being in no matter what the limits are. I'd go back there soon and as often as possible.

KC
Old 12-09-2004, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd go back there soon and as often as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
KC--can you write a note to my wife that I should go often. Just mention +EV and all....