Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Wedding Registry-- who, what, why

I'm looking for advice on the whole wedding registry situation. We've got the china/silver part all taken care of, I'm more looking for what experiences people have had with the more modern routes-- williams sonoma, amazon, whatever.

Those of you who have recently done this, where and for what did you register? What did you actually end up getting?

Those of you who have had friends or friends children get married recently(that applies to some of you right?)-- what would you consider getting?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Wedding Registry-- who, what, why

Ya gotta do Home Depot.

You can really register for anything you want. Just make sure you register for things in a variety of price ranges. How much of it you get will depend largely on how many people you invite to your wedding.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:34 PM

My wife and I went with Bed, Bath & Beyond and Sears. This way we covered all the cooking/houseware crap with BB&B, as well as tools, outdoor equipment and so on (Sears). We also mentioned to anyone who asked that Home Depot gift cards were very welcome, and we ended up getting a few thousand bucks in gift cards like these. This probably came in the most handy for buying materials for landscaping, fixing up the house and so forth.

Swede
Old 10-20-2005, 04:38 PM

Register at a place that has crap that you really want/need. Select items in a variety of price ranges to allow your guests flexibility. Don't select anything that you aren't prepared to keep (or won't be embarrassed discretely exchanging). If you have guests that are geographically dispersed register somewhere that has a web site.

EDIT - We got all kinds of picture frames, photo albums and candle stick holders [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] that weren't on any list I ever put together.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Home Depot is a great thought-- but I dont have a house and won't for a while. I'm in law school right now, does that change anything?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:43 PM

A friend of mine also let his parents set up a downpayment fund for a house they wanted to buy. Basically people just hgave the money to their parents to hold until they were ready to buy a house.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Home Depot is a great thought-- but I dont have a house and won't for a while. I'm in law school right now, does that change anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

BB&B is the place to go. They let you return items for cash.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BB&B is the place to go. They let you return items for cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 04:46 PM

I went to a wedding recently were the bride and groom registered at Tiffany. That is just obnoxious.

My wife and I did Crate and Barrell and Macy's. You would be suprised at how much of the stuff you register for you actually get. Just register for a wide range of items and prices. You need to give everyone an option that is in there budget. Target also is an option, and the things you do not need or want you can actually exchange for things you will use from Target.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:46 PM

Like the other posters said, just go for stuff that is a) stuff you want, and (more importantly) b) easily exchangable. You will inevitably still receive gifts that are neither useful nor accompanied by receipts/from your registry, and when that happens take it to Dillard's, or similar department store. In my experience, these guys are quite liberal when it comes to accepting returns w/o receipts or anything, the only downside is that they'll usually give you store credit. Still, it sure beats having three identical casserole dishes, when you make casseroles about once every three decades. I remember having to return some stuff we didn't need, including this little hand powered chopper/mixer thingie. Well, it turned out Dillards only carried a similar, smaller model of the same item, so they ended up giving me an extra ten bucks in store credit when returning it.

OK, enough rambling.

Swede