Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM

Default PT - Chip EV v $EV

I know this is incredibly stupid, but what's the difference within Power Tools and which should I be following. What happens if one is + and one is -?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: PT - Chip EV v $EV

$EV is the one you want. There is a difference mainly because having 100% of the chips does not give you 100% of the money - the most you can win is 50%. However, if you and 3 other players of equal skill each have 2500 chips, you each can expect to win 25% of the prize pool in the long run. In general, the more chips you have, the greater the discrepancy in value between chips that you win and chips that you lose - i.e. while you may stand to win 100 chips from a play, if you are risking half your stack in the process it is a very bad idea.

Edit - I think the tutorials in SNGPT go over this, and are a very good resource if you're confused about the topic.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: PT - Chip EV v $EV

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is incredibly stupid, but what's the difference within Power Tools and which should I be following. What happens if one is + and one is -?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

For STT, generally you want to use $EV.

The places that chipEV are useful are the following:

1) MTT (before the bubble is near)
2) 9- or 10- handed in a STT when you don't want to wait a long time for the extremely lengthy $EV calculations to finish.

chipEV is just about you gaining or losing chips on the hand.

$EV is a more complex calculation which considers not only your chip stack, but everybody else's chip stacks as well as the prize structure of the tournament.

eastbay