Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Default TPTK on a 2-flush flop

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($94.84)
MP1 ($23.47)
MP2 ($23.25)
MP3 ($25)
CO ($113.91)
Button ($33.78)
Hero ($47.07)
BB ($59.75)
UTG ($25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 sits down and posts a blind of $0.5. Hero posts a blind of $0.25. BB posts a blind of $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $1</font>, Villain is MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, Hero calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($5) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $2</font>, Villain calls $2, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, Villain raises all-in to $22.00, Hero calls $14.

Basic hand I suppose, that I should know how to play by now... Was the raise on the flop standard or bad? Was the call to the reraise bad or insane? Keeping my raise smaller may have made it easier for me to fold probably.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: TPTK on a 2-flush flop

You shouldn't play KTs in a multiway raised pot for it's top-pair value, but if you're gonna take a stab at the pot i prefer leading for the pot and folding to a raise. Check-raising just bloats the pot unnecessarily.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't play KTs in a multiway raised pot for it's top-pair value, but if you're gonna take a stab at the pot i prefer leading for the pot and folding to a raise. Check-raising just bloats the pot unnecessarily.

[/ QUOTE ]

or better yet, check-call, I hate the way OP played it, I think you can actually fold to the reraise after you c/r.

edit: villain called original raise then moved in when you checkraised, I guess it could be a spade draw or 89 figuring they want to see 2 cards anyways, but that seems like something that can beat KT on this board. Then again you are getting good odds, but I think the way this situation can be avoided is by not checkraising. (leading out or check/calling being better)
Old 04-16-2005, 06:42 PM

Villain probably has you beat, but could have something stupid like QT or TJ. The real question is, how are you maximizing EV here? Why not lead out this flop? You have a marginal hand that is staring at a board which can get not so good looking for you if any of the following come up:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6, J, Q, A. That's about half the deck. You should just lead here for $4-$5, and fold if someone pushes.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:47 PM

Thanks. I knew it was played badly even though it worked out (Villain had 68o). My inexperience shows in these situations where I'm playing a hand for one thing, draw something else and am not sure what to do with it. Next time I'll lead out instead, then see where I'm at.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain probably has you beat, but could have something stupid like QT or TJ. The real question is, how are you maximizing EV here? Why not lead out this flop? You have a marginal hand that is staring at a board which can get not so good looking for you if any of the following come up:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6, J, Q, A. That's about half the deck. You should just lead here for $4-$5, and fold if someone pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like this plan tooooo much because you shouldn't worry about protecting your hand in a pot this small. It's just not worth it. Sure, if players are weak tight then I'd leadout with htis, but not because I have top pair, I'd do it because my bet alone should show a profit.

If you plan to fold to a raise, with FIVE opponents it's too easy to be moved off your hand, especially on one so draw heavy.

Plus, if you're flatcalled you have a difficult decision on most turns, whether to give the hand up, continue to stay in the lead, or possibly giving a free card. I hate tough decisions like that.

Check-call and play a small pot, maybe stop &amp; go on a blankm, depeneds who leads out and how much they bet.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:27 PM

Well you aren't playing KT for top pair, and you got no draws. Why build a pot. I especially don't like check-raising here in a multiway pot. It's a better idea if you are headsup with villian and know he'll bet any 2 if checked to him, etc.

For all intents and purposes this is a check-raise bluff. You do NOT want a call here. And check-raise bluffing in a multiway pot doesn't strike me as a good idea.

I vote for the check-call. Easy to get away from your hand if an unfavorable turn card comes.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:44 AM

When no one was showing a lot of aggression, I did feel like I needed to protect my hand. With the pot being small, that's obviously wrong.

So it seems I need to semi-bluff less here, maybe leading-out 30% to check-calling 70%. As long as I'm able to get away with it that should show appropriate results.