Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 AM

Default flopped bottom set in position

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (19.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero ...???
Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: flopped bottom set in position

I'd raise/call a 3-bet, personally.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:41 AM

What do you know about the BB?

For example, how aggressively does he push a flush draw on the flop? How about an OESD? Does he get tunnel-vision and blindly bet/raise regardless of the action with any piece of the board? Is he passive enough to check QQ? Ect, ect.

I tend to doubt he was pushing an OESD like 89 on the flop because of his turn action; along the same vane, I tend to doubt he's on a flush draw. His line really doesn't make much sense if he has top set; likewise, a set of 77s seems hard to believe as well. I think you'll see two pair more often than anything else if the BB is at all decent. I probably raise the river, but considering how confusing his line is, I don't think calling is a huge mistake.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:18 AM

I don't know much about the player as I hadn't been at the table very long.

I've capped the flop, raised the turn, now he bets out again with the best river card I could hope for. I really thought I had defined my hand pretty well yet he still bets the river. I can't think of any other hand except 77 that would play it like this. I raise anyways and call the 3-bet to see it. He played almost as if our hands were turned face up and I was outplayed.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:22 AM

This must be one of those trick questions right?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What are you afraid of here? Raise.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've capped the flop, raised the turn, now he bets out again with the best river card I could hope for. I really thought I had defined my hand pretty well yet he still bets the river. I can't think of any other hand except 77 that would play it like this. I raise anyways and call the 3-bet to see it. He played almost as if our hands were turned face up and I was outplayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't see it as you being out-played. Set-over-set happens, and I think the villain played his hand rather poorly. Not much to take solace in, but I guess it's better than nothing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Q7, 76, Q6 would also play it similarly.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't see it as you being out-played. Set-over-set happens, and I think the villain played his hand rather poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-31-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise/call a 3-bet, personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think Q7, 76, Q6 would also play it similarly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-31-2005, 03:36 AM

On the flop I'd jsut call the 3 bet and raise the turn as BB will almost surely lead.

As for the river, given the way you played it, easy raise. If he 3 bets I'd cap. This is way more likely to be some random 2 pair than a hands that beats you. 98 got there on the turn. but just calling your raise wouldn't make a lot of sense for a guy holding the nuts. There is a chance that its 77 and even TT I suppose (depending on how passive this guy is). But the inability to get 5 bet makes a cap look very attractive to me.