Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Affirmative Action - Thomas Sowell

If anybody cares to read about the topic, you should defenetely check out:

Sowell, Affirmative Action Around the World, ch. 6 ,
“Affirmative Action in the United States”

Sowell is probably the leader when it comes to the conservative approach to this topic. Randall Kennedy on the left.

I am a liberal on most issues and have not really been able to decide much on the issue though being a poor white kid, it's always been troubling to me that I would have little or no advantage in college admissions while my black and hispanic friends would have huge advantages. If we are trying to truly be fair in admissions, I think economic backround should be the emphasis.

But, do we really need admissions to be fair, or is having a diverse student body more important? Convince me.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Affirmative Action - Thomas Sowell

If people aren't to be judged by the color of their skin, then they aren't to be judged by the color of their skin. Why is this so difficult for some people? As long as we treat individuals differently because of their race, racsim and racial discrimination will continue to be a problem.

We need to start treating skin color like eye color. Maybe then people will find value in the things that truly matter rather than worrying about what kind of packaging they came in.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:46 AM

What is inherently wrong with treating people different based on their skin color?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is inherently wrong with treating people different based on their skin color?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're kidding, right? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2005, 09:32 AM

"You're kidding, right?"

Nope. I am baiting anyone willing to bite. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I believe there is only one legitimate justification and I highly doubt anyone will give it.

So, what is wrong with preferences based on skin color? It is a serious question.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:21 PM

Any type of racial profiling is inherently flawed because the differences we associate with skin color are in fact cultural and sociological. That being said, if I have a black man and a white man in front of me, which one is statistically most likely to have a criminal record? What if the white man grew up in a Chicago ghetto? Racial profiling "works" because it is clear that certain skin colors are more prominent in certain cultures, which do indeed have distinct characteristics. All that being said, which skin colors associated with which cultures are likely to need help in gaining admission to universities and which skin colors associated with which cultures are statistically likely to do relatively well in the university system. And to my main point, preferences based on skin color are wrong because the issue is cultural affiliation and upbringing, not skin tone.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:55 PM

"Any type of racial profiling is inherently flawed because the differences we associate with skin color are in fact cultural and sociological. "

I strongly disagree. Why are most professional athletes black? Do you not believe that certain Asian populations are smarter than whites or blacks on average?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Any type of racial profiling is inherently flawed because the differences we associate with skin color are in fact cultural and sociological. "

I strongly disagree. Why are most professional athletes black? Do you not believe that certain Asian populations are smarter than whites or blacks on average?

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't refuting what I stated. The examples you site are explained by cultural differences, not racial differences.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't refuting what I stated. The examples you site are explained by cultural differences, not racial differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice assertion but I'd like to know how you know it to be true.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:46 PM

Let me restate then. These are explained be inherent genetic differences. Culture has nothing to do with althletic natural talent or intelligence. However, culture might have something to do with skills and the amount of knowledge. The important thing to realize is that genetics set the starting point and it is not equal.