Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poker?

From my other THREAD.

i used to be a hardcore gamer and spending countless hrs on games like AOE II.

then i played poker part time (while still having a full time job), and i couldnt finish Max Payne 2.

Now that i've started playing poker full time, i've stopped playing video games all together. I no longer have an interest.

it's like i can only handle one computer addiction at a time.

yet in my non-poker playing hrs, i spend most of that time surfing the web.

WHY does a person lose interest in video games since playing online poker? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poke

It's hard to maintain multiple time-consuming hobbies. I actually had the same thing happen to me, though I still play video games a good bit.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poker?

Probably because as you get older, the world of imagination doesn't appeal to you as much anymore. Poker is also far more difficult and complex than anygame.
I probably helps you are interacting with real characters.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to maintain multiple time-consuming hobbies. I actually had the same thing happen to me, though I still play video games a good bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess poker is my perfect job since i think of it as a hobby like gaming, instead of something i dread doing.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 PM

I'm going through the same thing myself. I think most of it is the fact that despite the fact that I love gaming, once I started playing games competitively against other people I stopped being interested in single-player video games. As though playing any game against an AI is sort of like beating it when you could be having sex.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:10 AM

Same thing happened to me, but the simple answer si that.. theres no time for gaming when you're spending all those hours on poker.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:32 AM

I used to be a hardcore gamer until I got into poker. I used to play mmorpgs, pc fpsers, and console rpgs. Not anymore.

Since I started winning at poker I just don't make time for games anymore. I keep looking at my growing stack of ps2 games and say to myself "im going to make some time and play this game." But I've yet to do so.

I think in my case its just hard for me to justify spending 20-40 hours on a ps2 rpg when I could be playing online poker and building my bankroll.

Maybe this is a sign of addiction but as long I am keeping my grades up and winning I don't see how its a bad thing.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM

Poker has almost entirely killed my video gaming as well. If you're a winning player, and playing at medium limits or higher, it's hard to pass up all the money you could be making playing poker instead.

Any time of mine where I'm not at my real job or playing poker, I spend being social and/or being active. Video games are usually neither social (unless there is a group of friends playing some game), nor active (unless you are playing Dance Dance Revolution).

No big loss though right? I apparently don't miss them enough to get back into gaming. Plus, who needs another interest that involves intense concentration while staring at a screen? One is plenty.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
playing any game against an AI is sort of like beating it when you could be having sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Make that double for playing a video poker game. It's worse than beating it. It's like rubbing your crotch against a pillow while looking at the women's underwear section of your JC Penny catalogue.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Why do i no longer have interest in video games since playing poker?

I agree. I too used to be a hardcore AOE II:TC gamer, that is, until poker. My gaming obsession died as my desire to play poker grew. It's strange how it can change so quickly...