Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 07:18 AM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over
Default Please help me analyze my PT stats (60,000+ hands of 6max)

Ok, seriously, what am I doing wrong?

Note that it sucks to get quads and lose. Also, note that it sucks to get a straight flush and lose.

So... when does the whole "winning" thing start?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Please help me analyze my PT stats (60,000+ hands of 6max)

You're a bit weak tight. I'd fix my postflop leaks then work on loosening up preflop.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM

I'm gonna assume this is motsly for the $5/$10 games.

I would say you are weak aggressive. Even though this is coming from a guy who has VIP over 30%, 21 VIP, imho, is too damn low in these games unless you have the postflop skills of a god. With VIP of 21 you should be raising pre-flop any opening chance you get for deception value. Since a VIP of 21% has none. I know your hand range 99%+ the second you raise or limp in.

And your flop aggression especially is out of this world. You aggression numbers are way too high. Partly, this means that you are raising, re-raising too many drawing hands and weak pairs and are raising too many hands hands that are beat because you are lacking in your reads department. You need to slow down considerably and work on your reads.

I think you Blinds defense could use work. For instance, folding the BB to a steal HU shouldn't be that high. You are getting usually 3.4:1 on your money in the $5/$10 game. You are not going to be a 3-1 dog that many times to warrant you forking over your BB that easily HU.

Another thing I noticed that you winning percentage with single pairs is autrociously low. I'm very certain you are also on a very bad luck streak.

Your losses with a Highcard are frankly unacceptable. This more than anything spells out that you need to work on your reads.

Folded to river bet I don't like given all your aggression on all streets.

You Att. Blinds steals shouldn't be lower than 30%. You are losing too many oportunites to steal by it being lower that 30%.

Last but not least, you are not going to showdown enough when you should but are going to showdown when you are obviously beat. Does this makes sense?

Work on your reads, be moderately aggressive, don't over do it. Widen your starding hands, raise VIP. Steal slighly more. Just too name a few. Hope this helps. And stick it out. You are also prolly running bad.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:35 AM

People who fold to much often have high aggression factors, if he went to showdown when warranted abit more his aggression level should lower. He's probably playing raise or fold poker a bit too much.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:42 AM

You could steal a little more and defend a little more, but basically preflop is good enough. I think your leaks are 95% post flop.

You seem to be too aggressive/tight postflop. You should try to identify hands when it's better to let a LAG keep betting the hand instead of raising and folding to more aggression.

Your low Went To SD compared to rather low Won at SD could mean that you have been running very bad. But it could also mean that you take the wrong hands to showdown. (Folding winners and calling down or keep betting with the second best hand.)

Perhaps you fold too much on the river, 43% seems very high to me.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could steal a little more and defend a little more, but basically preflop is good enough. I think your leaks are 95% post flop.

You seem to be too aggressive/tight postflop. You should try to identify hands when it's better to let a LAG keep betting the hand instead of raising and folding to more aggression.

Your low Went To SD compared to rather low Won at SD could mean that you have been running very bad. But it could also mean that you take the wrong hands to showdown. (Folding winners and calling down or keep betting with the second best hand.)

Perhaps you fold too much on the river, 43% seems very high to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding to this I think your post flop play is very predictable. You bet when you have a strong hand you fold when you don't - you rarely call. You don't check-raise a lot. This is an invitation to stealing. Try to take advantage of your tight image and steal more and call a bit more to discourage ppl from trying to steal from you. You'll see this WWSF going up.

I am not sure about this but I think you don't value bet the river enough according to the river stats at the bottom. It looks like when you bet you always win (so you only bet with the nuts or close) and when you call you have a high W$SD which means you've missed some raises.

Stats don't mean a lot. You might just be running bad. But improving some weaknesses can increase your winrate

And finally I have no experience of PTY 5/10 6-max but I guess it's a game where weakness is punished more.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna assume this is motsly for the $5/$10 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, at first, then the last half or so was almost all 3/6.

[ QUOTE ]
I would say you are weak aggressive. Even though this is coming from a guy who has VIP over 30%, 21 VIP, imho, is too damn low in these games unless you have the postflop skills of a god. With VIP of 21 you should be raising pre-flop any opening chance you get for deception value. Since a VIP of 21% has none. I know your hand range 99%+ the second you raise or limp in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually recently tightened up a notch or so - mostly UTG and MP. I can't see continuing to open raise hands (especially UTG and MP) that seem to be borderline at best, considering that I'm nowhere near certain that I'm a winning player at this game/level, and it seemed to me that continuing to do so would just drive my variance up. Maybe that was the wrong move?

[ QUOTE ]
And your flop aggression especially is out of this world. You aggression numbers are way too high.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Ed Miller says I have to protect my hand! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Partly, this means that you are raising, re-raising too many drawing hands and weak pairs and are raising too many hands hands that are beat because you are lacking in your reads department. You need to slow down considerably and work on your reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, probably, cut down on the number of tables too.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you Blinds defense could use work. For instance, folding the BB to a steal HU shouldn't be that high. You are getting usually 3.4:1 on your money in the $5/$10 game. You are not going to be a 3-1 dog that many times to warrant you forking over your BB that easily HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certain that my blinds defense needs work. It seems like when I try defending more, though, it very frequently goes something like: Button open raises, SB folds, I call with, say, T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I check, Button bets, I fold. I feel like I'm getting run over more than I should be when I do defend, and I don't think I have a good feel yet for when to try to push apparent stealers off their hands when I have little to nothing. Ideas here?

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing I noticed that you winning percentage with single pairs is autrociously low. I'm very certain you are also on a very bad luck streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very certain of that too. I'm also very certain that's not the whole problem, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Your losses with a Highcard are frankly unacceptable. This more than anything spells out that you need to work on your reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the OP, I hadn't checked the "Show only hands that were not folded" checkbox. Here are those stats with that checkbox checked (since it won't let me edit the OP):

The Net Amount is positive for High Card hands, so it can't be that bad, can it? What do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to river bet I don't like given all your aggression on all streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

That notion seems odd to me, as it *feels* like I call too much on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
You Att. Blinds steals shouldn't be lower than 30%. You are losing too many oportunites to steal by it being lower that 30%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly agree. I need to work on this.

[ QUOTE ]
Last but not least, you are not going to showdown enough when you should but are going to showdown when you are obviously beat. Does this makes sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are saying makes sense, but I'm not sure exactly why this is occurring. "Going to showdown when you are obviously beat" usually happens because I don't want to fold for one more BB in, say, a 20 BB pot just because a scare card hit and someone wakes up. Then I get pissed because I "knew" he had the flush or whatever, but it sure seems like I get bluffed at more than 5% of the time here.

I'm also not sure how to fix "not going to showdown enough when you should" without feeling like a total calling station.

[ QUOTE ]
Work on your reads, be moderately aggressive, don't over do it. Widen your starding hands, raise VIP. Steal slighly more. Just too name a few. Hope this helps. And stick it out. You are also prolly running bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Thank you.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Play less tables, make better reads

mooks
Old 08-01-2005, 04:06 PM

A few things:

1) Start treating MP more like CO than UTG. You should be raising a fair amount of hands first-in.

2) Steal-raise more. When I play 22/16 my PFR is 21-23 percent from CO/BT, and I imagine this is close to optimal.

3) Get to showdown more. Don't recklessly call down, but consider pot odds and your opponent's capabilities before deciding to fold.

4) Come up with a good reason for keeping a flop AF > 3.5. There are some great players who play this way, but there are many ways to hemmorrage bets in this style also. You are probably costing yourself on this street.

5) Stop open-limping (i.e. UTG - you do this a fair amount)
Old 08-01-2005, 04:20 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

2 things stand out to me:

1. you are hyper-aggressive postflop. you are likely overplaying your marginal hands against passive players, with too much of a "raise or fold" mentality.

2. you are probably not goign to showdown enough considering how tight you play. this also yields a high AF, since you are probably folding where you should call.

Sklansky wrote an article about the 8 mistakes you can make on poker. I think your big mistakes are (in order of severity):

1. raising when you should fold (most likely with overcards after raising preflop. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you autoraise no matter what after raising preflop)
2. folding when you should call (most likely as a result of trying too hard to be "tight-aggressive" and feeling like calling must always be wrong)
3. raising when you should call (not believing the passive players or overplaying your mediocre hands and/or betting them in the face of aggression by passive players)
4. betting when you should check (most likely betting tainted overs in multiway pots ont he flop. just autobetting the flop after raising preflop)

preflop looks fine considering you're most likely struggling postflop. I wouldn't tinker with your preflop play at all. I think it's perfect for you given that you're just trying to stay afloat.