Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 04:47 PM

Default New computer...

I am thinking about getting a new computer in a few months. I am probably going to pick most of the parts myself...I don't need anything really powerful,but I do want something thatwill perform pretty well. I basically just want a big hard drive (120 GB) a good video card and monitor, some speakers(nothing real fancy) and that's pretty much it....Anyone have any ballpark figures for a basic PC like this? What is a good video card and monitor(want to be able to multitaable with no overlap)? Should I just look at Best Buy, or is there a good site I can order from? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: New computer...

www.newegg.com is by far my favorite computer parts website out there. excellent prices, excellent service, excellent products.

first and foremost, what a good videocard is is definitely dependant on what your intended use is. if you just want to 4 table poker and watch some dvds here and there, you don't need much at all. if you want to run half-life 2 with 8x FSAA and 16x aniso, then you're going to need the biggest baddest card out there. The same is going to go for the processor, you won't need an athlon 64 3700+ for 4 tabling poker. a much more modestly priced processor will do you fine.

Moreover, if you're willing to build the computer yourself, you can save a lot of money. However, you do tend to sacrifice tech support and extended warranties if you do this. If you're looking for prebuilt, i can't help you too much, as I don't have any experience buying prebuilt computers (except my laptop). However, I hear dell has good tech support.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Actually I was looking at Dell right now, I like how much you can customize your parts. I don't think I want to assemble my own computer, don't wanna screw anything up. So I just need a really basic videocard? What kind of monitor should I look for? What resolution would I need to play 4 tables?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:32 PM

FAQ for Zoo

If you click on the links that are provided about moniters, graphic cards, resolutions... it should help.
It helped me.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 PM

Thanks a lot, I had read the FAQ but didn't even notice the hardware section....
Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I was looking at Dell right now, I like how much you can customize your parts. I don't think I want to assemble my own computer, don't wanna screw anything up. So I just need a really basic videocard? What kind of monitor should I look for? What resolution would I need to play 4 tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

i haven't taken a look at the dell computers recently, but i can't imagine the most basic card they're going to offer will be anything less than what you need - unless you need to do lots of 3d gaming or video editing and graphics work.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:51 PM

Just make sure you have a video card and monitor that can to 1600x1200 res and you will be fine. If you aren't using it for gaming you won't need to spend much.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:13 PM

Well I'm only looking to spend around $600 or so. I put together the package I would want, and it was right in that area....unfortunately the monitor I have selected sucks.(I think it's like 1280 x 1024 max res.) Should I get this monitor now(and the rest of the package) and wait to buy a new monitor(since I won't be multi-tabling immediately, but I will be sometime in the near future)
Old 01-11-2005, 07:27 PM

Should I get this monitor now(and the rest of the package) and wait to buy a new monitor(since I won't be multi-tabling immediately, but I will be sometime in the near future)

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy the monitor now. If you are serious about your play you won't regret it. I just bought the 4700 from Dell with the 20.1 and i couldnt be more happier