Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Poor river bet?

Stud newbie here. Recent hand at stars $5-$10 goes like this:

all fold to relatively LAG player who completes with 10s. I have 4h5hJh and decide raising is the best play if I'm to play at all. Bring in folds and we go to 4th. Rest of hand plays out like this:

4th
Hero: 4h5hJhAs bet
Villain: xx10s8c call

5th
Hero: 4h5hJhAsJd bet
Villain: xx10s8c8d call

6th
Hero: 4h5hJhAsJdAh bet
Villain: xx10s8c8d2d call (?)

7th
Hero: 4h5hJhAsJdAh6s bet
Villain: xx10s8c8d2dx call

Now I realize in retrospect that anyone calling 6th when I have aces up showing can probably beat 2 pair, especially when there is no apparent draw for them. Even if they can't they surely fold on the river if they don't improve. But I was in love with the hand on 6th and missing the flush didn't stop my finger from reflexively clicking. Regardless of my lack of forsight though, I represented jacks on third and jacks full on 6th. Even if Villain has trip eights (he did) he might have reason to fold the river if he doesn't fill up. So is a river bet correct here with $66 in the pot?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Poor river bet?

First, I question your 3rd street raise. What were you trying to accomplish? Since, you say the raiser was loose(LAG?), he wasn't likely to fold to a raise, so you effectively put more money into the pot when you were behind if your opponent had a pair. The bring in already had to call a raise to play, so you didn't necessarily need to raise to get it heads up. Usually when a player raises and you have a 3 flush and it is likely to be heads up, you are debating whether to call or fold--not raise. If you have an overcard you can call, but a jack is a pretty low overcard, so I would consider it barely a call. If two of your flush cards were out, I think folding would have been a good option as well.

As for 6th street, you had Aces and Jacks on board, and your opponent called you, so the logical conclusion was that your opponent already had Aces up beat, or he was drawing to beat Aces up. So, I think you only had a bet on 7th street if you made a full house(and then you would hope to get raised). However, since you had Aces and Jacks on board and raised on 3rd street, it would be hard for 8's full to raise you anyway, so you were somewhat protected--but why take the chance that 8's full felt like gambling and reraised?
Old 01-11-2005, 01:56 AM

I don't agree with the 3rd street raise

I wouldn't rush to assume that he beats Aces up. But he is definetly drawing to beat at the very least.

He will not call with a losing hand ... he will not fold a hand that beats Aces up.

The only question you have is "what happens if you check and he bets"
Old 01-11-2005, 02:53 AM

As others have said, the raise on third street was dubious, and the river bet was atrocious.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:42 PM

In my opinion this hand should have been folded on third. It is going to be heads up and you only have one overcard. If you do play you should just call.

About the river bet... What is your goal in the bet? In my opnion you gain absolutely nothing by betting. He will only call when he has you beat.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 PM

if you thought a river bet here was a good idea then maybe 5-10 is too tough for you [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] if he had three suited cards on baord or some reason to think he was playing a draw then the bet still isnt correct, but a check call would be.

on the third street raise, why?? against an opponent that you can manuever easily it is a good idea but against a LAG there is no reason to raise here as there are few legit hands he will have here that you beat, if any, and even if he doesnt have a legit hand even a pure bluff isnt that much of a dog.

Pat