Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 AM

Default In which I fold a straight (no flush or boat possible)

MP is 41.7 / 2.7 / 1.17

Button is 23.4 / 15.6 / 2.30

No further reads.

Standard?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds...
Old 12-29-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: In which I fold a straight (no flush or boat possible)

I dont think I like the flop bet
Old 12-29-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think I like the flop bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I mix up that flop a lot.

I just happened to bet this time, although I agree it's probably not the most optimal in a large field.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 AM

yea I just think you can extract the most EV by checking and reevaluating. I find that betting will thin the field too often when you get raised by a guy to your left who has a pair or a jack. Also guys are more willing to call a bet if they are closing the action (and getting better odds), so if a guy to your right bets you can call and get some more guys on your left to call than if you had bet yourself.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:08 AM

I agree.

Pretend for me? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 01:15 AM

well you're getting 18.5:2 or about 9.5:1 if mp calls and doesn't reraise. We gotta figure button definitely has a jack and mp usually does so if they both have jacks you have to be splitting about once in 4, right? If button is decent he would call to get your overcall rather than raise, so it looks like he has JK. Does he have JK more than 3 out of 4 times? Probably, but I dunno. Your play seems reasonable.

EDIT: Doesn't JK raise pretty often preflop though? Maybe not a 15 PFR...i dunno
Old 12-29-2005, 02:10 AM

KJ may not raise every time with two limpers already in, I would imagine.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:43 PM

button has 2.3af so even if he just had a naked jack hed probably raise it since hes a little overaggro. hes probably not the type to go for overcalls. however, button raised the flop and there should be no way hes doing this with a naked jack. his hand range is KJ, QJ, TJ by likeliness. i dont think KJo raises preflop since hes not that aggressive pf and KJs may limp as well (but probably not).

youre definitely chopping this pot 3 ways on the river. if you chop your equity is 5BB whereas if you call and lose its 2BB. so one of the 2 players would have to have KJ less than 3/5 times, which sounds right to me. id call.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM

I'm too stubborn and unbelieving to ever fold here.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
button has 2.3af so even if he just had a naked jack hed probably raise it since hes a little overaggro. hes probably not the type to go for overcalls. however, button raised the flop and there should be no way hes doing this with a naked jack. his hand range is KJ, QJ, TJ by likeliness. i dont think KJo raises preflop since hes not that aggressive pf and KJs may limp as well (but probably not).

youre definitely chopping this pot 3 ways on the river. if you chop your equity is 5BB whereas if you call and lose its 2BB. so one of the 2 players would have to have KJ less than 3/5 times, which sounds right to me. id call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take into account the likelyhood of a 3-bet/cap and it changes things.