Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Curtains hand #5 - Attempted bubble pwnage with 72o

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2775)
BB (t1985)
Hero (t3195)
Button (t2045)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t325</font>, BB calls t250

Flop: (t800) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t500</font>, <font color="red">BB pushes</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

I woulda just folded. What went through your head?

Man I think I'm gonna be postin a LOT of hands.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Curtains hand #5 - Attempted bubble pwnage with 72o

The blinds don't have to be huge to bully with a big stack on the bubble.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:21 AM

Folding is fine of course, but I felt like donking off a good % of my stack instead. Raising makes sense because its the bubble....making a bet on the flop is okay too because usually when they have nothing they fold. It takes a lot of courage to raise me with nothing on the flop.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:47 AM

I don't like your preflop raise amount though... I would rather put in more preflop, and be certain that the person has a hand.

BB should call your preflop raise with a very wide range of hands.

And if you only min-raised because everyone was always folding to a small raise, then you might as well slow down on the flop, and min-raise again next hand.

edit: I looked at the hand again, and I guess you more than min-raised... misread it and thought you were Button.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:55 AM

BB wont call my PF raise with a very wide range of hands, nor should they. Also I didnt min raise, I raised to like 400 or mabye even 475 when the blinds were 75-150
Old 12-24-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your preflop raise amount though... I would rather put in more preflop, and be certain that the person has a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're a shorter stack on the bubble who does not want to risk chips. I can't really quantify it, but my experience makes me feel that risking the other chips on a larger raise is not outweighed by the increase in FE. A larger pot is also harder to steal on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

BB should call your preflop raise with a very wide range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
not necessarily, and even if it is true that does not change that most players do fold regardless of what they *should* do.

[ QUOTE ]

And if you only min-raised because everyone was always folding to a small raise, then you might as well slow down on the flop, and min-raise again next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. He didn't miniraise, and you haven't shown why a continuation bet is not effective on the flop.

[censored] CURTAINS YOU BEAT ME AGAIN!!! YOU SUCK!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:59 AM

come onto IM newt. I want to show you a hand that will make you think im completely insane
Old 12-24-2005, 03:03 AM

sorry-- edited this while you guys were responding... thought you were Button, which would have basically been a min-raise.

But-- for 250 more, with 550 in the pot already, I do think that the BB should call with a wide range... not as wide as I initially thought (175 more with 550 in the pot), but close.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:08 AM

yeah but they generally wont call with a wide range on the bubble against the big stack.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:08 AM

Was 72o just the one you picked? I mean, was he making this raise over and over and getting folds.

There are a lot of good players, some of them perhaps going to Iraq (and best wishes, honestly) who make about this size raise over and over when they have even a slight edge on the bubble. Some of us notice this and are ready to reraise often enough that we aren't being totally pwn3d, or at least we try.