Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: \"One week as a pro\" article

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather make $20/hr playing a freaking computer game from home that I can do whenever I want then make $30 or $40/hr having to commute to a typical office 'environment' working a typical type of 'boss' while always smiling and wearing a shirt and tie and having to show up at 8 in the freaking morning.

At $20/hr on online-poker you also have the potential to actually GET BETTER. There is no reason to assume that you will always continue to make that much.
The 'business trips' in poker (stuff like winning a package to the WSOP or something) are pretty nice perks too.

Lots of people who work pretty miserable jobs for semi-decent money would gladly take a pay-cut to work at home whenever they felt like working.
Many of these people would accept an even bigger pay-cut if it was no longer the same job, but rather was something that they actually kind of enjoyed like playing poker.

I've been in a really bad losing streak lately...and even that hasn't really turned me off to the freedom and flexibility that one gets doing this.
I'm grinding my way back because it's so much better than so many other options out there (and because I think the long-term potential of studying and becoming a good poker-player is worthwhile).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said!

I feel bad for this guy, that in only one week he took all the fun out of playing as a pro.
Setting an alarm
Playing sooo many hours
Giving himself only 15 minutes for a meal
No internet while playing

.....Sounds like he is working for "the MAN"
Old 12-16-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather make $20/hr playing a freaking computer game from home that I can do whenever I want then make $30 or $40/hr having to commute to a typical office 'environment' working a typical type of 'boss' while always smiling and wearing a shirt and tie and having to show up at 8 in the freaking morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

you just made me hate my life.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:40 AM

I didn't like this quote from the article, I definitely disagree with it:

"There is no such thing as a 'good session' or a 'bad session'..."
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if poker is one long session, which i think it is, then the quote is correct.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if poker is one long session, which i think it is, then the quote is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, so take these things together.

1. There is no such thing is a "good session" or a "bad session".
2. Poker is one long session.

Given these two statements combined, we can conclude that:

3. Poker is break-even.

As such, I still disagree with the statement for most persons.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PROFESSIONAL POKER is poker you make an income of off. Why do people assume you are only pro if you are making 6 digits? 20 bucks an hour, non taxed income, is a very decent living. Especially when you are free to travel, make your own hours, not shave or shower, and even jack off on the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. if you are a poker "pro" only making $20 an hour, you should get another job. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more than 75% of the working population of the UK earn, and most people would give their right arm to earn that much, if I could guarantee $20 an hour for the next 10 years I would go pro tommorrow, sadly that is unlikely.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I would shoot myself if I made $20 a hour at poker, it's SUPER EASY to make over $50 a hour, and not too hard to cross the $100 a hour mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know why you find it easy to earn that don't you? Well it's because most people are losing players, if it really was easy as you say, then you would be losing along with all the rest. Take advantage of it while you can, and be grateful, because work and the pay most people get completely sucks ass.

Mack
Old 12-16-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would shoot myself if I made $20 a hour at poker, it's SUPER EASY to make over $50 a hour, and not too hard to cross the $100 a hour mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm in this camp as well. See, your $20/hour isn't even really $20. You aren't paying taxes, so you aren't adding to your social security. You also aren't getting benefits, which would also be included in that figure if you had a regular job. And aside from all that, you can even add variables like you probably aren't working 40hrs/week and the risk that you get popped for tax evasion. To me, $20/hr before taxes at poker is right on par with about $10/hr fulltime at a real job. Which is crap.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm in this camp as well. See, your $20/hour isn't even really $20. You aren't paying taxes, so you aren't adding to your social security. You also aren't getting benefits, which would also be included in that figure if you had a regular job. And aside from all that, you can even add variables like you probably aren't working 40hrs/week and the risk that you get popped for tax evasion. To me, $20/hr before taxes at poker is right on par with about $10/hr fulltime at a real job. Which is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read OP. The article plainly says you DO NOT pay taxes on winnings from gamblings in the UK. Benefits are available to people who are self employed the same way they are available to people who work for a corporation. 20/hour, tax free, is a decent income. Just because there are people making 500 dollars an hour, doesn't mean you should quit poker because you only make 50.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM

Yeah, no thanks on reading some mid-limit blog. Besides, my post was directed at some of the replies in the thread, not the OP.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume everything works the same way in other countries as it does in the USA?
Gambling income is not taxable in the EU and health care is free.