Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:33 PM

Default It\'s a nice limit hand, I call with no clue.

I recently doubled up for the second time using the shortstack strategy. Yeah, I know it's not like playing the cadillac of poker FOR REALS. Don't wanna hear about it. Pretty boring game. Occasional limpfests, no lags, tightish play.

Pokerroom 200NL-9 handed

UTG+1 ($200 in chips)
MP ($354.40 in chips)
CO ($66.40 in chips)
Button ($250 in chips)
SB ($256.20 in chips)
Hero ($101.20 in chips)
UTG ($187 in chips)

SB posts blind ($1), Hero posts blind ($2), UTG+1 posts blind ($2).

PRE-FLOP: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $5</font>, MP calls $5, 2 folds, CO calls $5, Button calls $5, 1 fold, Hero calls $3, UTG calls $3.

FLOP: (6 Players) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="green">(~$29.00)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets $5</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $5, UTG calls $5.

I didn't want to lead the flop because of so many opponents seeing the flop + the board is paired, which could get me (especially a limit player like me) into real big [censored]. So OG raiser underbets the pot, should I have checkraised him? How much? Is $30 good? Anyways, I called because I'm such a weak-tight pansy with anything resembling half a stack.

TURN: (3 Players) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="green">(~$42.00)</font>
Hero ?

I was thinking lead for $20-$30, should I just pot it?

Let's say I don't improve on the river but I still have top pair. Give up on the river if he calls turn? Check-call a river bet? Fold to a river bet? Bet the river?

Bleh, evil evil game.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: It\'s a nice limit hand, I call with no clue.

I would definitely check the turn.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM

Bet that turn, you have TP with a flush draw. I would make a value bet on an unimproved river and fold to the raise from the 7 (assuming somebody's got a 7). I think an A or a 9 are the only river cards you do not want to see. A 7 will ramp it up on the river, then you can fold knowing you are beat.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 PM

if you bet, do you see yourself getting raised by UTG+1?

would you making it 1/2 make him call, raise fold?

same question if you potted it.

any specific reads on anyone?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 PM

i'd check-raise that weak-ass flop bet. calling is fine too though.

i'd probably check-raise the turn if he bets...looking to take the pot down now. if he checks behind, i'm leading any river. if he calls my turn check-raise, then i'd lead if i improve and check/fold if i don't.

EDIT: if the other guy wakes up, then he probably has a 7...in which case, i'd spike a Q on the river to overboat him.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:56 PM

I think there is no reason why you can't be way ahead here, particular if the game is as tight-weak as you describe. I bet between 2/3 and the entire pot.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:58 PM

Checking the turn in the BB is basically surrendering control of the hand. But that's your thing.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i'd probably check-raise the turn if he bets...looking to take the pot down now. if he checks behind, i'm leading any river. if he calls my turn check-raise, then i'd lead if i improve and check/fold if i don't.

EDIT: if the other guy wakes up, then he probably has a 7...in which case, i'd spike a Q on the river to overboat him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I was definitely wary of the UTG caller. I'd cry to mommy if he woke up and totally botch the hand probably by calling a huge bet.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you bet, do you see yourself getting raised by UTG+1?

would you making it 1/2 make him call, raise fold?

same question if you potted it.

any specific reads on anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
So far he's indicated weakness, if he raised I'd be suspicious. Would it be more likely he has an overpair than a bluff? I don't read hands as well in NL.

Also, after looking at the hand and his possible holdings, I see villain has 2-3 outs most of the time on the turn, some 4-6 out hands, and the rest ahead.

2-3 out hands (possible combos):
22-66 (30), 88 (6), TT-JJ (12), AK (12) -trouble hand for him, Ax (a lot), K9 (12), 9x (also a lot)

I know some of these aren't very likely

Their odds of improving:
2 outs 21:1
3 outs ~14:1

4-6 out hands:
T8 (16), 86 (16), JT (16), KJ (12), KT (12), A9 (12), QJ (8), QT (8), Q8 (8)

Odds of improving:
4 outs 10:1
5 outs ~8:1
6 outs ~6:1

Ahead:
AA-QQ (13), 99 (3), A7 (8), 77 (1), AQ (8), Q9 (6)

For hand protection, it doesn't really matter if I bet pot or half pot because they will be getting poor odds anyways. But perhaps I can induce more calls with 2-3 out hands by betting half to two-thirds pot? Does that seem like a good strategy? Or is it bad because it puts me in a bad spot on the river?

Because of my weaknesses, I think I should just go ahead and bet full pot on the turn, so that I know where I stand and can play the river easily. Sound good?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If I check and he checks behind, I'm NOT leading an ace river.