Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-06-2005, 04:59 PM

Default I struggle on the turn and river

BB in this hand is 22/15/2, which is about all the info I have on him

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero ???

On the turn I didnt know whether a free card helped me more or hurt me more, I didnt want to get confronted with a c/r (cuz I Didnt know what to do) so I checked.

River is a pretty easy bet no?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: I struggle on the turn and river

perfect so far. bet the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
perfect so far. bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM

I'd think if the BB had an ace he would have 3-bet preflop to your semi-steal attempt or check/raised the flop.

I bet the turn again to charge gutshots and flush draws, with the intent to check behind on the river. If you're check/raised on the turn I think you can call with the # of outs you've got.

My concern with checking the turn is that many of your outs put a 4-straight or 3 flush to the board. I'd hate to take a free card that just helps someone else more than me given I might be ahead at the turn anyway.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:10 PM

Turn is close. A lot of people will peel there with an ISD or two clubs, or a pair and weaker kicker, of course, and given that the 9 probably did not help them, betting there to get them to go away (or get them to call with the wrong pot-odds) is probably best. But yeah, if you get checkraised it pretty much sucks.

The other nice thing about checking the turn is you get to see what they do on the river -- do they take a shot at you with a busted draw or no? In this case, no, which is potentially useful information in and of itself.

Obvious bet on the river. I lean towards a bet on the turn but that's probably just being results-oriented. At 20/40 I know I pussy out on the turn, at 10/20 I'd be more likely to make the bet as I think I'm less likely to be checkraised/more likely I can trust the checkraise.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:27 PM

Turn is tough because getting C/R makes for a very difficult decision with only a stat read on one of the two players. I'd still be inclined to bet it, though. BB has stats that would seem to indicate that he might know what he is doing, and I think he'd be inclined to do something on the flop with a hand that is beating you (lead to possibly force out SB, or C/R both of you when it comes back to him). Suited hands are pretty popular blind defense hands, and a number of offsuit hands that call pre- have a gutshot or rarely an OESD (T9) on the flop, both hands that you're still ahead of on the turn. I think it's pretty close but I'd be inclined to bet to collect chips from the FD / SDs out there as well as possible worse Qs or Js. Not sure what I'd do on a C/R, but I'd probably see the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:36 PM

I'd also bet turn but dont have a big problem with checking. Most 22/15s in that game peel incorrectly and defend very liberally. And then there's the smalldonk. So I think you miss too much value by checking. After checking river is pretty easy bet.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:44 PM

Put me in the bet/call camp. I think you'd see more action if someone flopped an A. I'd also call the river UI if bet into again.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also bet turn but dont have a big problem with checking. Most 22/15s in that game peel incorrectly and defend very liberally. And then there's the smalldonk. So I think you miss too much value by checking. After checking river is pretty easy bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do 22/15/2 players seem to get very little respect by posters on this forum?

When I see a 22/15 I think "2+2'er", or "he's decent". I think that these 22/15's do not defend as liberally as most people on this forum - if they did they would have a higher VPIP.

Obviously they are not the 30/20 that this forum seems to think is the correct style of play, but I'm not a 30/20 either. I am not sure exactly what I am right now but I think I'm about a 24 (or 25)/19 (or maybe even 17).
Old 12-06-2005, 07:05 PM

i think calling a river bet after being checkraised on the turn is pretty bad