Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: $22 KQs in level 2

A drawing hand, huh?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem, imo, is that KQs is a drawing hand. What flop are you going to be happy putting all your chips in with?

[/ QUOTE ]

A flop like this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think it is +EV to play KQs after three limpers. Of course not as +EV as AKs but still. I don't have to get all my chips in on the flop. A lot of the time I get an excellent price to draw to the flush or the straight because people don't protect their hands well enough.

I'm not saying that folding is bad but loosening up a bit in level 1 & 2 should is something I want to do. Not only do I think I can win more chips that way but it also is a better preparation for the higher limits.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:04 PM

The problem is, you are caught in the middle. I think that HOH calls this the sandwich effect... you could end up wasting a lot of money pf only to have to fold post flop, or even pf if someone tries to steal it... not sure, I am weak post flop, so I try and avoid situations that get me into trouble... for now.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:56 PM

I would consider calling with a hand like this from LP to Button, everywhere else I fold. I'd prefer to see all the action before me first. Furthermore, once the pot has been raised, and with so many limpers, I think I want more than TP2K before I commit all my chips. Anyhow, the action is already beginning to suck. I think if you find yourself folding the best hand here, it won't be often enough to make it wrong. I really hate KQ sometimes, and other times I like it.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:02 PM

Preflop is fine I think. I wouldn't even seriously consider folding KQs UTG in l2.
On the flop I would just call & decide what to do after seeing the rest of the flop action or if there are no more raises then the turn action.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Results: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Everyone folded but MP1 who called with a Kh6h and didn't hit.

Sixhanded TPGK isn't that strong but when I pushed four had already acted and none of them seemed to like their hand all that much or feel the need to protect it. If MP1 had pushed or bet pot I would have had to go away.
</font>
Old 12-05-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is fine I think. I wouldn't even seriously consider folding KQs UTG in l2.
On the flop I would just call &amp; decide what to do after seeing the rest of the flop action or if there are no more raises then the turn action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about it for a while but that would make any push I make on the turn pretty much impotent, especially if BB feels he gets good enough pot odds to call on the flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:32 PM

Personally I think pushing is a mistake. But folding is even a larger one. I think calling is the best play.

Pushing is wrong because you give both your opponents the right odds to call with either a flush draw or a open ended straigt draw (both are possible on this board). The pot has $530. If you push you put in an additional $595. The pot will have $1,125. The BB will have to put in $565 into a $1,125 pot. Not quite 2-1 but if he has the nut flush he might assume (correctly) that the Ace is also an out and being getting the correct odds to call. If the BB folds, the MP1 will have to put in $440 into a $1,125 dollar pot, getting much better than the correct 2-1 odds to call.

Whereas if you call. And let's assume that the BB also calls (this makes my case weaker). The pot will have $750. Now let's assume that they both check to you on the turn after a safe card falls, then you can put in your final 470 which will not be giving your opponent less than the correct 4-1 odds to call.

The point being is that calling gives your opponents a chance to make a mistake. If you push then you are just crossing your fingers and hoping your opponents don't have you beat. A tough spot considering the action ahead of you.

Given this tough spot, an added bonus if you call is that you then have a chance to reavulate on the flop and the turn.

GL. Hope it worked out.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:47 PM

Button is still to act also. I don't like having it go to the turn with a 900 chip pot fourhanded against god knows what hands. If there is any chance to take down this pot on the flop, I think it is a very good outcome for me. If a flushdraw calls my push, I'm fine with it.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM

I love the hand!! I play it the exact same way, and anyone who folds preflop needs to ditch the skirt and man up and play some poker. I'm all about playing nice and tight early but folding here is ridiculous.