Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-18-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Vatican Astronomer Debunks ID

Excerpt from this story:

[ QUOTE ]
The Vatican's chief astronomer said Friday that "intelligent design" isn't science and doesn't belong in science classrooms, the latest high-ranking Roman Catholic official to enter the evolution debate in the United States.

The Rev. George Coyne, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory, said placing intelligent design theory alongside that of evolution in school programs was "wrong" and was akin to mixing apples with oranges.

"Intelligent design isn't science even though it pretends to be," the ANSA news agency quoted Coyne as saying on the sidelines of a conference in Florence. "If you want to teach it in schools, intelligent design should be taught when religion or cultural history is taught, not science."

[/ QUOTE ]

More proof catholics are "less nuts".
Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Vatican Astronomer Debunks ID

Maurile beat you to it I think. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 PM

yep just noticed.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Anyway, what are some good internet sources that accurately describe both theories for those who are interested?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Old 11-18-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, what are some good internet sources that accurately describe both theories for those who are interested?

[/ QUOTE ]
There are no "both theories" since "Intelligent Design" isn't a theory (as that term is used in a scientific context).

But a good resource from the scientific perspective is TalkDesign.

A Pro-ID site is the Discovery Institute.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:01 AM

I heard Rev. George Coyne speak on CSPAN a few weeks ago and posted to watch for the show to run again. I am not sure if it will be rerun anytime soon now. The guys knows his stuff (from this science-layman’s perspective).
Old 11-19-2005, 03:03 AM

Thank G-d!
Old 11-19-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More proof catholics are "less nuts".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this at all. If you accept this strange categorization of "very much nuts"-"nuts"-less nuts"-not nuts" etc, as you seem to do and very happily so, why not just try to stop being nuts altogether by quitting catholicism? This will clearly put you closer to a "no nuts" spot.

If you don't mind being "less nuts", rather than closer to "no nuts", there shouldn't be any difference between "very much nuts" and "less nuts", or between "completely crazy" and "only a bit crazy".

If I'm a catholic, or a believer in any other religion, I wouldn't give a damm about being "less nuts" or "more nuts", according to some completely irrelevant and imaginary scale.

Again, if you accept the existence of this "objective" scale then you should leave catholicism, otherwise you are very confused.

(A different perspective: it's very easy for any particular person to become "less nuts", by having a "less-nutty" personal opinion about the matter in question. I don't see how it has anything to do with what some dude in the vatican says. If you need some dude to say something in order for your religion to be "less nuts", this is completely nuts by itself. And if some more important catholic dude would say the opposite thing tomorrow? than you are "a bit more nuts" again? Do you see how crazy all this is? I'm sure you do.)
Old 11-19-2005, 07:19 AM

An excellent example of binary thinking that makes me annoyed with many religious types. Also one of the most psychologically bothersome influences of religion...