Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-31-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Building a poker computer

Does a dual core run pokertracker faster than a single processor? Has anyone benchmarked this? Or do you have to go w/ a ram drive for blazing speed. :-( Pokertracker is slow as hell on my computer and I've got all the updates, postgreSQL, etc....

My current setup is an:
AMD 2400+
Asus A7n8x deluxe
756 mb ram

I'm thiking about building an:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
2xCorsair PC3200 1gig ram
AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3200+ 90nm
Antec P180 Mid Tower Case
Thermalright XP-120
MSI RX300HM-TD128E Radeon X300SE 128MB with HyperMemory

I still need to do research but that is what I'm looking at. I don't play video games, but I don't want any delays when running poker tracker!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Building a poker computer

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thiking about building an:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
2xCorsair PC3200 1gig ram
AMD Athlon 64 (939) 3200+ 90nm
Antec P180 Mid Tower Case
Thermalright XP-120
MSI RX300HM-TD128E Radeon X300SE 128MB with HyperMemory

I still need to do research but that is what I'm looking at. I don't play video games, but I don't want any delays when running poker tracker!

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be overkill for a "poker pc" but it will last you at least 2 years of solid performance
Old 10-31-2005, 04:58 PM

Go dual core. The X2 3800+ is nice. It won't make poker tracker run any faster but you generally don't run poker tracker by itself. It will make multitasking so when you are running poker tracker + poker ace + party poker + absolute things will be more smooth. Else it looks fine. I use that same MB and it is great.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:27 PM

i would really drop in a super fast hard drive in there. something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144160

should do the trick. also new egg is having a "spooky sale" on it
Old 11-01-2005, 12:13 PM

My understanding of dual core processors was that the capability of running multithreaded apps was improved. I don't believe PokerTracker is multithreaded. That being said, I'm guessing you would still see some speed improvement because other applications could be handed off to the other processor while PokerTracker was using another core. I guess it largely depends on how the dual core technology works. I'll admit I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area so I'm taking logical guesses. Ultimately I'd guess you'd see some improvement but no where near 2x.

I'm running same mobo, 3200+ and a gig of ram and I don't have a noticable speed problem with PokerTracker until I start to switch between screens. Even then it's not too bad. I should also mention that I'm not yet running PostgreSQL and I also have probably only 100,000 hands in my db.

I will say the video card is overkill if you're not playing video games. If you wanted to save some money you could probably use what you're already using.

Another post mentioned getting a faster harddrive. It's a great suggestion and probably worth checking out. You could also consider using a decent raid card and speeding things up even more. If you've got the cash and your really serious, consider getting a ram drive off of Ebay.

Sorry to say I don't have any benchmarks to share. Just some logical assumptions. If you do decide to benchmark things, please post the results as I would be very interested.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I will say the video card is overkill if you're not playing video games. If you wanted to save some money you could probably use what you're already using.

[/ QUOTE ]

The video card is $50. It will be powering 2 dell 2001FP's running 1600x1200
Old 11-01-2005, 01:34 PM

I advice you not to get the A64, get a P4 with an Intel mobo instead.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 PM

Ya, I worded my comments wrong. I was just wondering if anyone had any history of running PT on a dual core vs. single core and noticed a difference. PostgreSQL is multithreaded, but I don't know how that translates to real world performance and all. Even if it's not faster, avoiding stalls may be worth the extra loot.

As for the raptor, I'll think about it. I'm trying to balance speed and noise. Hence the super duper heatsink and the Antec P180... (which may be overkill but gosh darnit I love thermalright. :-P)
Old 11-01-2005, 02:32 PM

See it this way: If you are running ONE program and it is not threaded it will not be faster on either HT or Dual core cpus. If you run TWO programs that might both need alot of cputime, then both will benefit, threaded or not. So if you run PT, datamine and do all sort of things that are cpu intence, dual core will benefit you.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I worded my comments wrong. I was just wondering if anyone had any history of running PT on a dual core vs. single core and noticed a difference. PostgreSQL is multithreaded, but I don't know how that translates to real world performance and all. Even if it's not faster, avoiding stalls may be worth the extra loot.

As for the raptor, I'll think about it. I'm trying to balance speed and noise. Hence the super duper heatsink and the Antec P180... (which may be overkill but gosh darnit I love thermalright. :-P)

[/ QUOTE ]
Thermalright makes damn nice heatsinks. I also use a XP-120. If you want to cut the noise I would suggest a Panaflo L1A 120mm fan for it. Also, the Nexus 120mm fans are great quiet case fans. Highly recommended from Silent PC Review.