Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-25-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Personality Type and Poker?

Was just reading an article where the author argues that an introverted personality type, and more specifically INTP(Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving) and INTJ(Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging), are directly correlated with winning poker. This is the case he claims, because the introvert personality is more apt at self reflection, self examination and concentrating on the actions and words of other people for long periods of time. He argues that the INTJ is probably best disposed of the 16 personality types because "this type is motivated by the practical application of knowledge."

He goes on to argue...

"Perhaps 70, 75 or even 80% of all poker champions are of these two types[INTP and INTJ]. If this was an verified scientific fact, what might that mean for poker worldwide? Perhaps a correct but inverse conclusion could be correctly drawn. Perhaps some specific Myers-Briggs personality types are more apt to perform poorly at poker, in the same way a narrow subset of personality types is apt to do very well."

The article is listed here

http://www.pokerfyi.com/articles/4/20.aspx

and the Myers-Briggs personality test is listed here

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Thoughts/Comments?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Personality Type and Poker?

There have been many threads about this already, please try using the search function.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:16 PM

I fall between these two types, leaning towards INTP. The fact that they make up a very small percentage of the population leads me to think there must be other types that play winning or championship poker.

JMO
Old 10-25-2005, 08:35 PM

I wrote that essay. Later I posted a poll here on the 16 MBTI personality types. The over-represented types at 2+2 were INTP and INTJ by a wide margin.

The original post had quite a following. It seems it may have scrolled off the archives. (archiveserver.twoplustwo.com)

Anyone who may decide to try to locate it in the archives and post the link here, is appreciated. I believe the title was "Poker and Personality" and you can try searching "INTP" "INTJ" etc. These searches (in the Psych forum) may dredge it up from the archives. I posted that in 10/2004 and the archive server appears to go back only six months.

These essays and others are at http://www.pokerfyi.com/articles/4.aspx

FYI I did get quite a few interesting emails from some very well-known (champ) players who admitted to being introverted. Several were quite proud of that fact.

There is little doubt that introverts rule.

Atlantic Monthly published an excellent essay on introverts:

Caring for Your Introvert

[ QUOTE ]
Extroverts have little or no grasp of introversion. They assume that company, especially their own, is always welcome. They cannot imagine why someone would need to be alone; indeed, they often take umbrage at the suggestion. As often as I have tried to explain the matter to extroverts, I have never sensed that any of them really understood. They listen for a moment and then go back to barking and yipping.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 PM

All of this myers-briggs stuff is about as reliable as zodiac signs. Its bizarre to me that there are actually people in the business community who take this seriously.

studies show that less than half of people who take the test will be placed into the same type when they retake it a week later. Results also vary according to the time of day. This shouldn't surprise anyone though, because the test was designed almost sixty years ago by a dilletante Jungian homemaker. Thats right! She wasn't even a psychologist or anything.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:25 PM

I came out as INTP just now, which is consistent with your idea of who winning players are, but I still think the questions are poorly worded, and that the whole endeavor to place people into categories is neither scientific, nor socially desirable.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:25 AM

i just took the test. i came out INTJ. i think im more perceiving than judging. in fact, i try very hard to not be judgemental.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just took the test. i came out INTJ. i think im more perceiving than judging. in fact, i try very hard to not be judgemental.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are misinterpreting what the category of Perceiving Vs Judging stands for

Anyways, for what its worth, Im constistantly tested as ENTJ. This might be strange, but it might not be. I enjoy the company of others a lot, yet I still frequently reflect inwardly.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 AM

Know thyself.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:12 AM

I'd have thought that INFP and INFJ would also be good, particularly the INFJs as these are the guys who are reputed to be able to read other people accurately and instinctively which ought to be a big advantage ( at least in live play ).