Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Party 3/6 6 max: K9s on the button

The CO in this hand seems to have a decent starting hand selection, but in 200 hands has never raised preflop (27/0). He also seems to be fairly passive postflop. The SB is your typical loose passive both pre and post flop.

Party 3/6 6max: 6 handed

Preflop: Hero is the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO limps, Hero raises, SB calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop: (7 sb) Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, CO checks, Hero bets, SB calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, CO bets, Hero raises, SB folds, CO calls.

River: (9 BB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
CO bets, Hero raises, CO re-raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Comments on all streets are appreciated, but I am obviously wondering about my river play here. Just call the second donk bet? Cap the river?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Party 3/6 6 max: K9s on the button

I think you played it correctly. his lack of a preflop raise complicates things and makes him harder to read, but it probably also means that he is used to that so he will tend to overplay his PFR hands like AQ to some extent in situations like this and often get away with it.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:57 PM

I call rather than re-raise this player on the river. You run into A9 or TJ a fair amount of the time given this guy's profile.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Nice hand.

I wouldn't believe that CO has me beat when he bets the river because he didn't 3 bet the turn. The river changes virtually nothing. So pretty easy raise there.

I wouldn't cap the river either.

ZZZ
Old 10-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Perfect. You got just the right number of bets in. True, his river 3-bet means you're probably screwed, but you are still right to raise it. You have a monster and SH people are weird. I'm a fan of slowing down sooner rather than later (usually to ensure a SD), but here your play is raise the river. When he just calls and shows a Q and it turned out he just wanted a bet in every street, you'll be glad.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 PM

We're worried about A9, QQ, Q9, JT, 88, 89, 22 and 92. I'd say the first 6 of these hands are plausible given villain never raises preflop, and that you aren't ahead 2/3rds of the time after villain 3-bets the river, so just call that.

The other question is what hands does Villain donk the turn and river with? I think we're good often enough to raise the river, but I'm not sure either.