Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 AM

Default 2/4 Empire, take the free card or fire again

Typical loose passive table.

UG+1 open limps, 2 other limpers to me on button, I limp along with Ac5c, both blinds come along

Flop: 2h 4c 7c

UG+1 bets, fold, MP calls, I raise. Blinds fold, two callers.

Turn Td

Checked to me...

There are 6BBs in the pot. I have anywhere from 9-15 outs. Neither player was out of the ordinary for a 2/4 table.

Whats your line and why??
Old 10-11-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Empire, take the free card or fire again

minus a read I probably just check.
If utg has led with nothing on the flop before, I may bet. If I had seen them fold the turn, I may bet.

HU I would bet.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:09 AM

I'd check.
You made a free card play and didn't hit so you might as well take the card. In these LP games your A high is probably not good since almost all aces are played. Also if you take a free card here and hit the calling stations will likely pay you off on the river anyway.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:19 AM

I would check behind and take the free card, that your flop raise probably gained for you.

I doubt that you have the best hand on the turn. I expect that at least one of your opponents has a pair.

While you would have the equity to bet the turn for value with 15 outs if both of your opponents called, there is no guarantee that will happen. Also I doubt that you will be able to fold both of your opponents on this low card board, with drawing opportunities.

In addition, I would not like to have to call a 3-bet on the turn, if one of my opponents check/raised.

So I would check behind on the turn, which may allow you to raise a bet on the river if you improve your hand.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:20 AM

No particular reads (i.e. folded turn). EP, was reasonably aggressive (apx 1 total post flop aggression). MP was just a passive donk.

I agree that pretty much all Aces are played, with 6BB in the pot, wouldnt that make me want to bet here more often, since it cuts down the show-down value of my ace high.

I agree that any hand that will call on the turn, will call the river when I make my flush (excluding weird straight draws).

I guess, my thoughts are that you dont need your opponents to fold to the turn bet all that often to make the bet correct?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:24 AM

I would bet. I hate giving free cards. The check might be a trap but with 10+ outs, its worth it to me to bet and face the possible check raise for 8-10BB to the river. Even if he does raise, you can still call and have position on the river with pot odds to call just about anything thrown at you.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 AM

Ok I think its close so I (tried) to do the math:

Assuming everyone will call all bets on turn and river you will bet once and get two calls on the turn 1BB for a pot of 9BB (9:1 pot odds).

You have 12 outs to a straight or a flush (2.8:1).

Based on that I guess the math says bet (and I guees it wasn't that close???)...

Here's the problem is my math right (I'm pretty new to this)???
Old 10-11-2005, 10:42 AM

I think the basic math calcs are lost on this hand. You would really need to get into specific hand ranges, IMO.

I think a key consideration, is that your opponents will have great odds to call with a flush draw (great for me). They dont have the odds to call with 2 OCs (if they think I am made, which is also good for me).

I like betting the nut flush draw rather than the free card, b/c a decent opponent see a check behind on the turn fro what it was, a free card play. So, T9c, may just check call (most likely we get a single raise in) if we make the flush on the river. However, when we bet the turn, we may be able to get the river capped against a weaker flush.