Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 AM

Default A4s flops a flush...did I get the max?

B&M goofy structured NL. The blinds are 2-5, with a max buy-in of $200. I hardly ever play no limit, and think i'm terrible at it, but the game I wanted didn't go, so I decided to take a seat.

When this hand comes up i've got about $350 and am the big stack in the hand.

I'm in the BB w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 limps. He's solid and he knows me and respects my play. One other limper or no consequence and then the SB limps (he bounces back and forth between L/P and LAG, depending on his confidence and whether or not he's tilting.)

Flop:

J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, as do I. Its checked around.

Turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB bets 10 (this could be anything). Confident that nobody has a full house draw, I call. UTG+1 raises to 30. Limper folds and me and the SB both call.

River:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks. I bet $40...

thoughts?

lf
Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: A4s flops a flush...did I get the max?

I like betting the flop. even 1/2 pot. nobody will think you have nut flush there and 4th club might kill action.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:49 AM

I definitely don't think you get the "max" without betting on the flop or turn. You've got the nuts, and you're not worried about being outdrawn, but you can still get some more money in there IMO. I would probably bet both the flop and turn for value w/ early position here, because most players can't put you on a flopped nut flush. UTG+1 must have a decent hand, so unless he raised your river bet, I think you could have gotten more out of him. I don't even play at the 200's though so what do I know.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even play at the 200's though so what do I know

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't kid yourself. The limit/stakes you play don't always relate to how well you play, otherwise nobody in bigger games would make any money.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 must have a decent hand, so unless he raised your river bet, I think you could have gotten more out of him

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't, but do you really think he checks a "decent" hand on the flop, especially one so scary? I thought it was more likely he had an open-ended straight draw, and thought after the lack of action that he was drawing live.

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably bet both the flop and turn for value

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you bet on the flop? 1/3 of the pot? 1/2 the pot? I honestly have no idea.

thanks for the input so far.

lf
Old 10-07-2005, 03:04 AM

the way u play it I put u on the nut flush by the turn. I like betting the flop here to start building a pot
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 AM

I don't like closing the action on the turn with the nut flush after a bet and a raise. After UTG+1's raise to 30 and SB calls, with $70 in bets that round, why not reraise to 50-70 or so? It really defines your hand, yes, and if your opponents are thinking enough they will fold, but it's a small enough raise that two moderate players who have said they like their hand will likely call it. Then you can bet around 60-70 on the river.

Since you're gonna bet the 40 on the river, putting it in on the turn is like getting an extra betting round.

Other than that, though, I agree that betting the flop is better. Fastplaying flushes works bc everyone sees it out there and the only hands likely to give you action are smaller flushes or two pair or trips before a fourth club hits the board.

Edited because you have the nut flush and not technically the nuts, bc of the SF possibility
Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 AM

As other's have said betting the flop is crucial.

Generally, when you flop a good hand from the blinds it's always best to bet out. This took me a while to learn, and I believe is very important.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 AM

Bet the flop, call a raise, check-raise turn. If no one raises you on flop, lead out again on turn.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:14 AM

lead at the flop, no one will believe you have the nuts. if you want to get fancy and check or check-raise, do it on the turn.

the check/call, check/call, bet line is almost always the nuts and if these guys are any good, they wouldn't have paid you off unless they have their own flushes.