Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Suited connectors preflop

I think the most important difference between limping with suited connector or small pp is your POSITION. You can play small pocket pair from any position because it's EASY to play the flop, no set then fold. Suited connectors are not so easy.

Having position on the other players is key because then you have options on how to play it. Dump if bet into. Raise for a free card. Call and evaluate if priced in. etc, etc. But most of these options go out the window when OOP.

So I guess my point is that you dump it unless the raise came from the blinds and you have position. GL.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:48 PM

Curious. How do they all play? By out playing do you mean out bluff? I have found some modest success at the 109's with moderately aggressive semi bluffs on unmade but likeable flops. Does your comment assume most 109's weak tight? Trying to see if my recent observations are correct or just a variance?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:24 PM

Default To sum op...

Thanks for the replies and opinions.

In short, suited connectors are much harder to play post flop than pocket pairs. According to the probability forum, the probability of hitting a made hand (two pairs or better) on the flop is only 5,6%, which is a lot less than the odds of hitting a set with a pair.

Therefore, in order to call raises with suited connectors profitably, you must be confident that you can also gain a lot of value from your draws, and in most cases your table position will be critical.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can outplay the 109 opponents all day long doing this cuz they all play the exact same way. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Teach me. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you're never playing PPs preflop in early 11s, I assume you also don't pick 20s up off the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a broken ATM were spitting out $50 bills, and I saw a twenty on the ground, I would not bend over.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you're never playing PPs preflop in early 11s, I assume you also don't pick 20s up off the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a broken ATM were spitting out $50 bills, and I saw a twenty on the ground, I would not bend over.

[/ QUOTE ]

TOUCHE'!!!!

bam

(I disagree, but nice comeback)
Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious. How do they all play? By out playing do you mean out bluff? I have found some modest success at the 109's with moderately aggressive semi bluffs on unmade but likeable flops. Does your comment assume most 109's weak tight? Trying to see if my recent observations are correct or just a variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

the 109ers as a whole have navigated their way into playing a similar style to that of a 2+2er. the way to counteract that is to pick up a lot of pots by playing a lot of hands early. thats all there is to it. holla
Old 09-29-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have 2 hands, id pick em both up. holla
Old 09-29-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your odds with 9ts vs 22: 52.93%

[/ QUOTE ]

QUIT IT!

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But no, don't listen to him Nicholas, keep posting this stuff, numbers tend to drift away and it's nice to set them back in place from time to time.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: To sum op...

pokerstove.com has an analysis of unsuited connectors...

says u need 12:1 for unsuited connectors, 15:1 for 1-gappers, 20:1 for 2-gappers, 60:1 for 3-gappers

suited connectors are obviously better