Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Suited connectors preflop

It is a classic move to limp in with small pocket pairs and suited connecters in the first couple of levels.

On occation some jerk will raise you after you limped, and now you have to decide whether to call him.

Holding a pair, you basically have to decide whether or not you expect to gain roughly 8 times your investment when you actually make your set on the flop.

I lack the same type of measuring stick concerning suited connectors. I imagine it is profitable to call a min raise with 8 other players in the pot, and that it is probably unprofitable to call off 10 BB with only the raiser in the pot, but where do I draw the line? It is tough math to do, since it is difficult to define a 'succesful flop'.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Suited connectors preflop

[ QUOTE ]
It is a classic move to limp in with small pocket pairs and suited connecters in the first couple of levels.

On occation some jerk will raise you after you limped, and now you have to decide whether to call him.

Holding a pair, you basically have to decide whether or not you expect to gain roughly 8 times your investment when you actually make your set on the flop.

I lack the same type of measuring stick concerning suited connectors. I imagine it is profitable to call a min raise with 8 other players in the pot, and that it is probably unprofitable to call off 10 BB with only the raiser in the pot, but where do I draw the line? It is tough math to do, since it is difficult to define a 'succesful flop'.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a great question and one I often think about as well. I think coming up with "exact" lines is not too useful for Suited connectors etc...Its more feel perhaps...

i.e., a super aggro player limps in to your right after a couple of limper, say blinds are 30 and you have ~1000 and are on the button, this would be a great spot IMO.

For me, its not so much about the price per se (although that does dictate a great deal) but WHO is in the pot with me, and the likelihood of being paid off. For instance, with PPs if I have 33 and the raise is to 100 UTG and I have 1500, I wont call it most of the time in UTG+3 because of the potential reraise, and also, because even if I hit my set, i might not be paid off at all, in which case I am really not getting priced in well.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM

why not just open raise with them and get it heads up or 3 handed and outplay the opponents? ehot? holla
Old 09-28-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not just open raise with them and get it heads up or 3 handed and outplay the opponents? ehot? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't do that on a consistent basis...I think that's the point. But, yeah, thats good sometimes.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't do that on a consistent basis...I think that's the point. But, yeah, thats good sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you can do it on a consistent basis. holla
Old 09-28-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On occasion someone with talent will raise you after you limped, and now you have to decide whether to call him.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how bout at the 10s?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how bout at the 10s?

[/ QUOTE ]

ill never play a hand before lvl 3 in the 10s that is not AK, QQ, KK or AA. its just a waste of time. play more tables. holla
Old 09-28-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you can do it on a consistent basis. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

You CAN do it on a consistent basis, but I am not sure how often you will be able to outplay your opponents to make it +EV. What we are talking about is very context specific so you might be right.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ill never play a hand before lvl 3 in the 10s that is not AK, QQ, KK or AA. its just a waste of time. play more tables. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

That may allow for positive ROI, but it's definitely not optimal.