Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Another silly fold?

B&M 10/20 (I know, I know small stakes. If nobody here feels like responding, i'll repost it there...)

SB is clever TAG, only other "above average" player in the game. UTG is weak/tight with very predictable standards on all streets.

Preflop:

UTG limps. This means she doesn't have a big ace, and if she has a pair its 8's or smaller. Likely range is 88 on down, QJs, QTs, JTs, and other small suited/unsuited broadway cards. Folded to me in the h/j, I raise with A9o. Folded to SB who calls. BB folds, UTG calls. Three of us.

Flop:

9-7-5

SB bets. UTG calls. I raise. SB 3bets UTG calls and I fold.

Standard?

lf
Old 09-06-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Another silly fold?

Retarded, and I'm pretty weak tight. At the very least you peel, but this hand makes it to show down almost every time for me because I raised preflop and hit TPTK in a decent sized pot.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 PM

SB has overpair, K9, Q9 or a set and UTG has a set. You lose. Good fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:45 PM

You don't even want to see a turn in this large pot closing the action! I see your reasoning for raising, but I still muck PF.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB is clever TAG, only other "above average" player in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that no one else at the table is above average other than the SB.

sorry, couldn't resist.......this is not good, and particularly so given your descriptions.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Is it that hard to actually put the why with the what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, couldn't resist.......this is not good, and particularly so given your descriptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the sarcasm, as long as you provide an explanation. I'm in the hijack. The button is tight, so are the blinds. Its very likely i'm in front of the UTG limper, and if not she's so predictable playing against her postflop is extremely easy. Are you criticizing preflop? I thought this was pretty standard.

The flop is what might be questionable, hence the post, but I'm really getting tired of people like you posting "this is bad", and then not bothering to explain why. Why bother posting in a strategy forum if you aren't going to include any strategy in your posts?

As far as the flop goes, if you think its so horrible, give me a range of hands for the UTG limper (after she calls 2 more cold on the flop, which obviously a weak/tight player won't do with overcards) that doesn't have me drawing to running outs?

lf
Old 09-06-2005, 05:27 PM

I think you are still ahead here. Couldn't UTG have something like T8s? or even maybe JTs? Was the board rainbow?

My default here would be to call the 3-bet and see what develops on the turn. If the turn is a blank and SB bets and UTG just calls, I'd put UTG on a draw and raise the turn (and fold if SB 3-bets). Then I'd take a free showdown on most river cards.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Is it that hard to actually put the why with the what?

UTG could have 10js, 98s, 78s, 67s, all of which will play this way on the flop, if the person with them is weak.

She could also have 88, 10-10, which you have tons of outs against.

I don't see how someone going call, cold call, convinces you they have a set.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Is it that hard to actually put the why with the what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the sarcasm, as long as you provide an explanation. I'm in the hijack. The button is tight, so are the blinds. Its very likely i'm in front of the UTG limper, and if not she's so predictable playing against her postflop is extremely easy. Are you criticizing preflop? I thought this was pretty standard.

The flop is what might be questionable, hence the post, but I'm really getting tired of people like you posting "this is bad", and then not bothering to explain why. Why bother posting in a strategy forum if you aren't going to include any strategy in your posts?

As far as the flop goes, if you think its so horrible, give me a range of hands for the UTG limper (after she calls 2 more cold on the flop, which obviously a weak/tight player won't do with overcards) that doesn't have me drawing to running outs?

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Pre flop is standard for me, but there isnt much point in playing that way if you are going to fold to a little pressure on a pretty darn good flop for you.

SB could have a ton of stuff you beat including a worse 9. Limper could have any number of pair and draw hands as well as no pair hands like J10s. 88,66, 89, 78. Thinking you need running outs based on the action so far is way off IMO.

If you want to play it safe, call the 3 bet. Then if limper has the monster you are afraid of she will raise SBs lead on the turn and you can muck. Since she wont put a play on you this is probably a safe way to go.

I'm not putting anyone on a straight or sete quite yet.....
Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 PM

Wouldn't SB 3-bet you PF w/ an over pair or fold all mid one gappers?

You've been known to raise a bit light w/ draws in position at cardroom in question. SB might play it that way w/ A7s, 98.

UTG is predictable so it seems like you can find out for sure on turn if you are beat by her. Few people can go for an overcall w/ a set on 4th st.

You're closing the action. I think a peeel is in order. The pot does have 7 BBs.

BTW, you play your position well so a call will make the SB just as nervous as a cap. You might feel more sure after you see his (and UTG's) reaction to the turn card.