Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Why do you buy used CD\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
In this modern era of all music being free if you spend the time on the web, why do people still buy used CDs? I spend a decent chunk of change buying new stuff from artists that I want to support. But the artists get none of my money from a used CD purchase.

The only reason I could see for logically buying used CD's is if you are trying to help out the person or store selling them. Other than that, seems silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your sole purpose for buying a CD is to support a musician? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hmm, suppport a local (likely small) business vs. steal intellectual property. Tough choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not valid. You should support the local business and local musician buy purchasing new music.

Besides, isn't buying a used CD pretty much the same idea as downloading as far as the artist is concerned? They are not getting a cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I suppose you also oppose the buying and selling of used cars because auto workers don't get a cut. All houses should be be burned to the ground rather than being resold so construction workers have jobs. Same with anything antique.

If you want to support a local artist, go to their concerts. Artists get very little from CD sales. That all goes to the music industry, perhaps the most corrupt industry on Earth.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hmm, suppport a local (likely small) business vs. steal intellectual property. Tough choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not valid. You should support the local business and local musician buy purchasing new music.

Besides, isn't buying a used CD pretty much the same idea as downloading as far as the artist is concerned? They are not getting a cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you've really thought this through or else you're just being argumentative. The artist has received a cut of the original CD sale (although probably a pitifully small percentage). The person buying the used media, which is perfectly legal AFAIK, is doing nothing illegal or unethical. Note the word 'buying', which differentiates this from illegal downloading of the same content without the artist ever receiving a red cent. The artist did receive a cut of the original CD sale, as they are entitled. What happens to the CD media after the inital sale is not relevant to the artist, just like as someone pointed out in another response that a home builder/architect is not entitled to a cut of the sale price of a house after the original one. Relate this purchase of used media to an illegal download where the artist gets nothing--Ever--and I don't see how the two can be compared.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:24 AM

I buy used CDs because they are cheaper.

I also buy them to resell them for major profit.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 AM

to cassette and beernutz,

i commend your efforts for wanting to help the artist etc. but i if my cd gets taken out of my car from one of my friends and then lost, or it gets cracked, or scratched beyond repair i am not going to buy a brand new cd. why? because i will buy the cheaper used one. why? for myself, maybe thats selfish but oh well so are the record company's that sell those cd's for 18 bucks when it's clearly not worth that.

as for dl'ing music, i think that is even worse b/c nobody benefits from this. at least the small independent business' get something from my purchases.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 AM

I tend to listen mostly to bands on indie labels. Therefore, I usually purchase my CDs directly from the label. That way they are getting all of the profit.

I do think "stealing" songs via Morpheus/Kazaa/Etc. has some value.... It's just hard to quantify and limit it. There are many a band I have become a hardcore fan of thanks to the 2 or 3 songs of theirs I "stole" in this manner. I usually proceed to purchase most of these bands collections from their websites.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 AM

Sometimes by impulse- other times because said disc is hard to find and I don't want to wait for it by special order.

My 1BB per hour income is also a consideration.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you buy used CD's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are cheaper, legal and the identical product to the new ones. What's the problem?