Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Situation I always use a Stop n\' Go in.....

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, you really don't need to get this fancy at a 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see a stop'n'go as a particularly fancy play. It is simple math. The flop will miss him 2/3 of the time.

Although I prefer to do it if someone limps instead minraises/standardraises. More chance he likes his hand as it is when he raises. And since the standardplay when someone limps with blinds like this is to push, I don't use the stop'n'go all that often. Nor do I think one should.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
45, let me ask you this as a side question. Would you like this play if there were 4 people left and he was the small stack facing an equal chip differential between him and his opponent in the hand? Just curious. Peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

So many of these posts are read dependent. I fairly confidently called a guy down yesterday with K high and had him beat because he was such a bluffer. His betting pattern made me fairly certain that he didn't have anything, but I didn't want to raise and make the pot bigger just in case.

To answer your question, I'd have to see the actual chip stacks I guess. If he still had as many BBs left as the OP in this hand, no, I would just fold and steal when I got the chance.

A play that I will make (rarely) is take the worst of a situation by re-raising all in or calling all-in (with high blinds) from the SB or button after an aggressive big stack raiser raises from EP. If I have cards that will play well (not be dominated) by a normal raising range like two big cards, I will make an isolation raise in order to get heads up. I do this rarely but it comes up when you're just languishing and getting blinded down. The bigstack has actually done me a favor by raising initially because he is scaring the blinds (who have to have a fairly comfortable chip position in order for me to do this). Once the blinds are added in to the equation, I feel like it's my chance to get right back into the game by taking the worst of a 40:60 flip.

Again, I don't even do this very often. I think that I have done 2 or 3 stop-n-gos in over 2000 SNGs. I'm not saying it's wrong, just not my style at all.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:02 PM

Against a chronic min-raiser with this chipstack ITM this is defintely the best play from my experience. I am not willing to give up my blinds to a player like this. As Freudian said, he misses the flop 2/3 of the time and it is tough for some players to call with bottom pair. Normal players at the $22s don't think about pot odds and the possibilities of MY hand. They think about THEIR hand ("damn I only have A high, I can't call" type thing).
Old 07-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Your OP didn't say anything about villain being a chronic mini-raiser.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:31 PM

Is the "everyone misses a flop" 66% of the time actually correct ? A quick assessment of the situation points to that likely being the chance that they have a pair on the flop. Are the chances that they have a good draw on the flop worth considering ? Straight draws and flush draws, overcards.

I think we agree that a stop-and-go fails at least %33 of the time. I think the failure rate is slightly larger than that.

.... opinions ?

--
tjh
Old 07-24-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the "everyone misses a flop" 66% of the time actually correct ? A quick assessment of the situation points to that likely being the chance that they have a pair on the flop. Are the chances that they have a good draw on the flop worth considering ? Straight draws and flush draws, overcards.

I think we agree that a stop-and-go fails at least %33 of the time. I think the failure rate is slightly larger than that.

.... opinions ?

--
tjh

[/ QUOTE ]

Draws are worth considering but the only thing I am worried about is the A high flush draw, otherwise I will have the best hand. You make a pair roughly 33% of the time.