Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 07-12-2005, 05:14 AM

Default AK I don\'t know what to do

I just jumped into the table maybe 1 or 2 orbits ago. PT stats not up yet, but BB seems tightish. UTG is a verified LAG.

Party Poker 3/6 (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, Fold, Fold, Fold, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB bets, UTG folds, Hero calls.

<font color="green">I'm not sure how often I should be raising this against an unknown maybe tightish player. The players here are usually pretty aggressive, although they go too far with their hands.</font>

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB bets, Hero ?

Also, the converter has gone haywire on this hand, and PP just had an update last night. Coincidence?
Old 07-12-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: AK I don\'t know what to do

I'd fold the turn
Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 AM

you should know what your doing on the turn before you decide on the flop - in other words if you call the flop then think after he bets the turn your a chook

i want to get to showdown so most of the time i raise the flop and go from there

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 AM

Fold the turn or raise the flop. I would lean towards folding the turn on this board against an unknown.

Phy1234
Old 07-12-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you should know what your doing on the turn before you decide on the flop - in other words if you call the flop then think after he bets the turn your a chook

i want to get to showdown so most of the time i raise the flop and go from there

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a chook then. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't think it was likely enough that he would do this with just overcards, so I didn't raise. I think I could have freezed him up with a raise here though. But the average player at this level is going to showdown anything that beats me. So let's say I freeze him up on the flop when I raise. Is taking a free card on the turn bad?

I assumed my 6 outs were good most of the time.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it was likely enough that he would do this with just overcards, so I didn't raise

[/ QUOTE ]

define "likely enough" - rather than just worry about whether you are in front or behind worry about whats to come - you should want to get to a showdown with this hand

[ QUOTE ]
Is taking a free card on the turn bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think its awful as long as you call the almost inevitable river bet - i normally bet the turn and take the free showdown unimproved - mostly i prefer this line because when i hit the river i suspect he will hate that the most

Old 07-12-2005, 06:53 AM

That board is very LAGIsh friendly. The pot is small, and you are trying to outplay a LAG who've you just admitted would not be betting the flop with just overcards. The turn sealed your fate. Let it go.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That board is very LAGIsh friendly. The pot is small, and you are trying to outplay a LAG who've you just admitted would not be betting the flop with just overcards. The turn sealed your fate. Let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]
BB (who I mistyped as SB on the flop) is the "seems tightish" player who has bet the flop and turn.

UTG folded on the flop and is a verified lag.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn sealed your fate. Let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean because he didnt hit the turn or because his opponent bet the turn ? - if the latter then his weak/tight fate was sealed on the flop

i think its fine to call the flop bet and fold the turn unimproved but i wouldnt do it unless i had a read that the guy betting into me had something - saying that you dont think its likely that he would bet the flop and turn if he didnt have something that beats AK isnt helping

Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it was likely enough that he would do this with just overcards, so I didn't raise

[/ QUOTE ]

define "likely enough" - rather than just worry about whether you are in front or behind worry about whats to come - you should want to get to a showdown with this hand

[/ QUOTE ]
By likely enough, I'd estimate I'm behind with 5-6 outs &gt; 70% of the time. What do you think and why?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is taking a free card on the turn bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think its awful as long as you call the almost inevitable river bet - i normally bet the turn and take the free showdown unimproved - mostly i prefer this line because when i hit the river i suspect he will hate that the most

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm going to call the inevitable river bet, it is IMO much better to raise the flop, bet the turn, take the free showdown. The tough players will donk the river, do you usually call?