Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Bankroll building success (and failure) stories anyone?

Hey... long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway these stories always intrigue me... especially from those who derive most of their profit from SnGs (and have 20k bankrolls playing the 215s). Hopefully a lot of people share theirs. I'll start with mine from the perspective of a 19 year old on summer break from college.

7/04:
Deposit $100 - Run it up to $450 playing WPT style on 25NL
Promptly lose every penny of that $450
Quit for a while

8/04
Another $100 run up to $350 this time (WPT style play)
Another $350 lost
Quit again

10/04
Another $100 stake... learn about nut peddling and also about PLO. Additionally, I develop the strategy of advertising on the NL25 and PLO25 tables. Raising repeatedly once I sit down with hands like 93o (or say K942 rainbow) then nut peddling for a few hours.
$100 slowly turns into $600

11/04 -1/05
Discover $11 SnGs and make around $900 over the next 2 months (2 tabling). I played very tight... way too tight on the bubble but this tends to hurt you less at the 11s than at higher levels.
Discover MTTs... starting playing the Empire $22 8PM (normally with 250-300 players) a few times per week. Made 4 final tables (5th, 6th, 8th, 9th) for about a $800 boost.
I made several attempts to move up to the 22s but I was playing way too tight on the bubble to be successful there. Bankroll around $2500.

2/04-Present
Discover MJ's blind stealing theorum article. This is what helped me be successful at the $22s. It is my opinion that the $22s are the most profitable (ROI-wise) of all levels. All of the breakeven/mildly successful $11 players who win regardless of their tight bubble play try to beat the $22s. They are crushed by people who know the value of LAGish bubble play. Anyway, I have made 3k (playing about 50 tournaments a week) there. I experienced a few 30 buy-in downswings but overall profited fairly steadily. I also have played a bunch of $33 3 table SnGs and have $800-900 profit there. So my bankroll is now up to around 6.5k (although I cashed out 5.5k to buy a car and a new computer and moniter for 8 tabling).

Funny Drunken Stories:
Amazingly, I am up over $600 in my life while playing drunk. One time I got back from the bar and started 4 tabling NL25 and stacked 9 people in a little over an hour after some HEAVY advertising. Another time I made the final table of an empire $22 buy-in (300 person) tourney with a gigantic chip lead (like 95k versus 30k in second) playing turbo drunken LAG luckbox style (roughly 10 beers deep). My roomates were listening to Journey way too loud and the cops came and took me away from my computer and questioned me for over 2 hours about some random BS. I got blinded out in that time and only finished 5th for $350 (and a $500 fine). I also won a $33 3 table while pregaming before the bar. Needless to say, I blew the majority of the $250 profit that night. On the flip side, I woke up once after blacking out with $215 less in my account. Sure enough, I checked my email and there was a HH from a 215. I went out when I pushed JJ into AA level 1 like a drunken moron.

Anyway, I just quit my $12/hour job and have decided to play full time this summer as an experiment. I am sure there are a lot of lurkers like me who appreciate the content of this forum.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Bankroll building success (and failure) stories anyone?

deposit, double it, lose it.

rinse and repeat for 7 months.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:09 PM

i appreciate this the most
"My roomates were listening to Journey way too loud and the cops came"
Old 06-24-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the cops came and took me away from my computer and questioned me for over 2 hours about some random BS. I got blinded out in that time and only finished 5th for $350 (and a $500 fine).

[/ QUOTE ]

I kill myself for a year trying to write some clever shite; then along comes some ( 1 post) NOOB who outdoes me in one sentence [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
deposit, double it, lose it.
rinse and repeat for 7 months

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]Make that 50 years / add lotsa Roulette stories / Drunk & Disorderly before ZZYZX Road / Skake Well / Stir /(-)$8Mil
Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM

Very entertaining post. Nice results too. Good luck to you!
Old 06-24-2005, 04:56 PM

On the flip side, I woke up once after blacking out with $215 less in my account. Sure enough, I checked my email and there was a HH from a 215.

Rock on! You're living up to MY name. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 05:46 PM

Well, I typed out a nice long story about my short time playing poker, but when I went to Eurobet's cashier to check my current bankroll, IE went to some Eurobet page and when I pressed back the post was gone. So, here's the Coles notes version:

Novemeber 2004: Learn the rules of hold'em

November-January: Play freerolls on Pokerchamps and .01/.02 limit

January: Get $100 from PSO's instant bankroll

January-mid February: Play .5/1 and $11 SNGs, at one point getting down to $25. Made it back to $300, and started bonuswhoring.

Mid-February to Mid-March: Ran hot; worked my way up through the limits from .5/1 to 5/10. Started playing steps for fun, won a step 5 after buying into step 2.

Mid-March-April: Bought into step 3s, winning 4 more step 5 freerolls: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 6th (yeah, I run good)

April: Tried out a $215, played way too fancy but was lucky enough to cash anyway. Thought they weren't as tough as I expected, so I played them some more.

April-yesterday: 4-tabled the $215s. Almost had to drop down to $109s at one point, but swung back up.

Yesterday: Got my new 2001FP in the mail, and started 8-tabling. It doesn't seem that hard. (Like I said... I run good!)

As of today, my cashouts/bankroll add up to $35600
Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 PM

dont forget tax
Old 06-24-2005, 06:49 PM

he's canadian. we don't pay tax on that sort of thing.