Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Borgata 20-40 Hand

Tremendous game, average of 5 players to each flop, most of whom are calling stations.

I have red 66 in MP and limp behind two horrible players. The button raises and both blinds come along- 6 players for 2 bets each.

Flop A K 6 with two spades. All check to preflop raiser who bets. All but one call, and I call intending to get everyone for two bets on the turn (I was 95% sure the button would bet again on the turn...she was aggressive and it was likely that she hit the flop)

Turn in the 3 of spades, bringing a possible flush. All check to me and I bet thinking the button will chicken out.

Everyone calls, and the river is the Ace of clubs for a board of A A K 6 3. The SB comes to life and bets, all fold to me. Who's calling and who's raising and is it close?

I think the turn is pretty easy, but would like flop comments as well.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Borgata 20-40 Hand

Bet the flop. Raise the river.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:05 PM

I like a flop check-raise here. He says the button is aggro which means the button is likely to bet when checked-to.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Check raise the flop to charge the drawing hands. Value raise on the river isn't close.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:31 AM

If he's bad enough to show you a weird Aces full here, he's probably bad enough to show you trip Aces, threes full, a flush, etc. Raise the river.

SpaceAce
Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 AM

I like to bet the flop here in hopes that the button will raise and the people who call that raise will pretty much define their hands. This leaves you open to 3 bet them or wait till the turn as you see fit.
This is a raised pot so you should be trying to take it down. It would be no shame if you took it on the flop or got it heads up with the aggressive player whom you could probably take for multiple bets on the bigger streets.
The river is a raise in my opinion unless it is a super tight type player whom you can easily place on AK or KK. I don't know because you give no read on that opponent. However, if you think he could have a funky hand like A3 then IMO he's just as likely to have A8 or some garbage flush and will probably call a raise if he is that loose. Also note that a flop bet (assuming the agro behind you would raise) would help to clarify the SBs holding a little better.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:36 AM

I think you need to bet the flop so that people with gutshots and backdoor flush draws dont get the odds to take one off. If you get raised on the flop, you will have given them the wrong price, or drive them out. You should only checkraise the flop if you can expect the button to 3 bet and clear the field for you. I think its right to checkraise with a draw there to build the pot...
Old 01-14-2005, 02:52 AM

A-3 seems a distinct possibility. I'd be more inclined to do raise if the Ace of spades was not on the board.

I'd have check-raised the flop for precisely the reason you bet the turn: a card could come that could mess up your 2-bet turn plan.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:12 AM

"I think you need to bet the flop so that people with gutshots and backdoor flush draws dont get the odds to take one off"

This would be a good point in an unraised pot and if the fl was backdoor. But this is a raised pot and 2 spades flopped.... "The button raises and both blinds come along- 6 players for 2 bets each.".... There's 12 SB's in the pot. The odds are there to call 1 SB.

"You should only checkraise the flop if you can expect the button to 3 bet and clear the field for you. I think its right to checkraise with a draw there to build the pot.."

I agree that a big fl draw should c/r the flop, but disagree about the other part. There's 2 spades out and both draws have the odds to call 1 SB, so if I have the lead with a set and still have 9 possible river outs if the turn draws out on me, they'll pay double to draw and I'm still in play when they hit the turn.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:13 AM

Whatz up man,

I'm a regular at the Borgata. This sounds like the typical 20 40 Borgata game that I love!

Flop: I would bet the flop because of your position. If the button raises, it really clarifies where you are in the hand since you are forcing the other players in the hand to cold call 2 on the flop. By check raising or smooth calling, you really don't get this information.

Turn: Don't really like the bet out here. You could be up against a couple of flush draws and then you may be forced to call a couple of bets on the turn. Players at the Borgata love to try to check raise their flushes, even though it is sooo obvious they have a flush.

River: With the way you played this hand, it is really impossible to determine what you should do on the river. If I had played your hand this way, I probably would just call since you still have the button acting after you.