Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Should I tell my buddy??
no 39 32.50%
yes 81 67.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tetris is probably the best pure game of all time. MK made an existing genre marginally more violent.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this 100%. And this is coming from someone who has a Mortal Kombat 2 machine in his house!

-tpir

p.s. MK2 should have represented the MK franchise if anything was going to. But either way it should get finished off in the early rounds when stacked up with these other games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never an MK person, so I just picked one. The same way I picked Sonic 3.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, my thoughts.

Tecmo Super Bowl vs Contra

Agreeing with others, this is a finals match...final 4 at worst.

Tetris vs Mortal Kombat

This is a simple experiment in OOT demographics. Tetris touters don't seem to realize that Mortal Kombat was the GTA series of the 90s. Take a trip down memory lane with me, boys. Remember Sunday night when Mom turned on 60 Minutes? Remember when Ed Bradley came on to condemn Mortal Combat? Remember all the bad press Mortal Kombat got? If you were 12-15 at the time MK came out, there was nothing cooler than sneaking over to your friend's place to play MK because his parents were the only ones cool enough to buy their kid that game. The blood? The violence? The fatalities? If this means less to you than trying to piece together a bunch of stupid shapes that won't bleed no matter how hard you smash them into the ground, then I am guessing you weren't born into MK's wheelhouse. You're either too old to appreciate the cheap thrill of blood or you're too young and you find MK tame compared to later games.

[/ QUOTE ]

gonores, dead on as usual. I picked Contra, but mostly because I didn't play a ton of Tecmo (even then, it was very close). Mortal Combat was FAR more popular amongst my friends than SF, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. SF's great too, and would probably rank slightly higher than MK, but just barely.

I played a shitton of Tetris as a kid, but seriously guys. It was a mindnumbing game that was a time-waster for long car trips with your GameBoy. It wasn't all that fun. Yes, it was a very IMPORTANT game, but it wasn't nearly as fun as MK. It just wasn't.

All that said, if LoTZ:LttP doesn't win this, I will murder someone.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All that said, if LoTZ:LttP doesn't win this, I will murder someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a lot of hopes for X-Com and Star Control 2, but they aren't well known enough to win a poll like this. My personal scale probably has SC2 as first, Zelda 3 second, and X-Com third (even though I was never good at X-Com, it's just SUCH A GREAT GAME). And then Final Fantasy in fourth.

Anyway, since this is double elimination Tecmo Super Bowl will probably crush everything it faces in the loser's bracket, and may well end up against Zelda 3 in the final match.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:27 PM

Half an hour left folks, vote now while you still can!