Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Final table - A9s from UTG+1

Thats what I thought.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have odds to push, you generally don't have odds to raise. It is not as easily calculated as for pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

to anyone who doesn't understand this, don't worry. it is gibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am saying is that you can't calculate odds for raising as precisely as odds for pushing. However, if you are short stacked, raising is pretty much the same as pushing, since you will be somewhat pot committed to call a reraise.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:50 PM

He isn't so short that he wil be committed to call any raise. Will have to call pushes from shorties though.

When you throw out a statement that he doesn't have "odds" to raise, and then say its impossible to calculate the odds accuratly it gets a bit confusing.

Have never really heard anyone talk about odds for raising before. You either raise to steal, or raise for value.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM

I fold this hand preflop from this position at an 8 person table. Raising is not a good option because of the good possibility of a re-raise with so many to act behind you. Limping is horrible, because you will be forced to just fold the 45K chips away when someone makes a 3X BB steal-raise behind you. I think folding is the right move here.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this hand preflop from this position at an 8 person table. Raising is not a good option because of the good possibility of a re-raise with so many to act behind you. Limping is horrible, because you will be forced to just fold the 45K chips away when someone makes a 3X BB steal-raise behind you. I think folding is the right move here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not crazy about limping, but depending on your read, you have the option to limpraise or call if you are raised. If you think it is a steal raise, push. A9s is a 7-3 dog against standard raising hands, but ahead ahead of a lot of other hands. The limpriase may be tough to call.

I don't know if I would limp here, but it is not necessarily a bad play, depending on your style. I think limping is a lot better than raising. Pushing is terrible.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:56 PM

I think what you did is exactly crrect. Its the type of hand that its worth it to show strength, but not good enough to push. You raised, got reraies and released. Perfect.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM

I just dont think you know where you're at if AJ calls you and you hit the A on the flop. Are you going to run with the hand with top pair 9 kicker? I think this hand could get you in more trouble than it is worth. Release, save your chips for a better hand... That's my take.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A mix of big and small stacks to act behind me. Smallest stack has 4xBB. My M is 9.2 and the question is whether you push, raise (how much?) or fold and wait for a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the table was tight with decent sized stacks, raising would be ok, but given there are smaller stacks, and I do not know the dynamics, I would fold on the ratios stated. Reason being, I don't want to price myself in to calling a relatively significant allin by a smaller stack.