Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-03-2005, 08:23 AM

Default More proof americans hate scientists....

The article discusses a promising new technology for cheap, pollution free energy that actually works.

Lee said that his company is "presently engaged in advanced technology licensing discussions with a large European industrial group, and with an Asian industrial conglomerate." Both have been pursuing the technology aggressively and would like exclusive license rights for manufacturing, distribution, and operation worldwide. Both are experienced in large-scale industrial manufacturing as well as in energy. The European interest also has experience in wind power. "This would be a short leap for them," Lee said.

Lee's interest in seeing a U.S. company license the technology stems from patriotism. "Since 1777, my family has fought in every major U.S. conflict." "I would personally prefer to see global control of this technology remain in the hands of an American entity or entities."

He has approached a number of power producers in the U.S., but has thus far been met with a yawn. "They prefer to stay with something they are comfortable with -- [usually] coal; whereas the Europeans and Asians have been extremely aggressive in wanting to secure control of this technology."

http://www.opensourceenergy.org/txtl...f-aa653124a093
Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: More proof americans hate scientists....

well that would be a godsend if true.

If Americans hated scientist we wouldn't have nuked the Japs, landed on the moon, fall in love with Einstein and Stephen Hawking, etc.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well that would be a godsend if true.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf

[ QUOTE ]
If Americans hated scientist we wouldn't have nuked the Japs, landed on the moon, fall in love with Einstein and Stephen Hawking, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe you should look up how many decades ITER has been put on hold and where it is now....
Maybe you should google something called the "brain drain"
Maybe you should read up on a guy named Richard Smalley and read about where his work is now....

Maybe you should reread that article about how so many other countries want exclusive rights to this technology but he's holding out for the yawning americans.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should read up on a guy named Richard Smalley

[/ QUOTE ]
May he rest in peace. 62 years was far to short, we need people like him.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:15 AM

I meant that the technogoly would be a godsend

I sure hope that no one out there is holding out technology until Americans accept it. That would be a very selfish and destructive thing to do. If Americans hate scientist then that will be our downfall. I don't doubt certain segments distrust science, but there are several examples of American as a whole embracing science. Though, certainly, I agree science is good and those who distrust it are ignorant.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should read up on a guy named Richard Smalley

[/ QUOTE ]
May he rest in peace. 62 years was far to short, we need people like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTFO?

Smalley's dead? I missed that...

-Gryph
Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Unfortunately he is
Smalley [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 04:47 PM

I didn't see anything about how much power these things would generate. What is the output cost? How efficient are they? I'm not saying they're a bad idea. Mostly what I read seemed like a sales pitch for investors.

OK, say they're a monster step forward. How long do they estimate it'll take to get through all the red tape you know they're going to have to get past? It'll take, IMO, years of study by enviromentalists, weather pattern experts, GreenPeace, the Sierra Club, etc., etc., not to mention the "not in my backyard" folks.

In the meantime we still have the unexplored offshore fields of California and Florida. The ANWR potential. We also have the way-too-low refining capacity problem. All of which are part of the answer to our immediate needs.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see anything about how much power these things would generate. What is the output cost? How efficient are they? I'm not saying they're a bad idea. Mostly what I read seemed like a sales pitch for investors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you didn't read the article. This will be cheaper energy than gas power plants.

[ QUOTE ]

OK, say they're a monster step forward. How long do they estimate it'll take to get through all the red tape you know they're going to have to get past? It'll take, IMO, years of study by enviromentalists, weather pattern experts, GreenPeace, the Sierra Club, etc., etc., not to mention the "not in my backyard" folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this shows you didn't read the article. Nobody will see these things because they are miles off of the coastline.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:25 PM

wacki, I did read it. And I just went back and re-read it. I didn't see enough information to get me all hot and bothered. Intrigued, yes. Interested, yes. Hopeful, yes. I'm just not convinced this project has a snowball's chance in hell of becoming a reality, in this country anyway, near term.

I still remember reading in Mechanics Illustrated when I was a kid about how fuel cells were going to be the "thing" in the very near future. That "future" is more than 40 years later and I still don't see them in abundance.

I did mis-read, partly, about their location. I still believe the folks I mentioned are going to be putting their $00.02 in and causing no end of delays.

Does this project offer a solution, at least partially? Could be. I'm open to it. Hell, I'll even wish 'em Godspeed! And I don't give a rat's ass if they make more money than Gates and Buffett combined.