Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-17-2005, 08:27 AM

Default Pocket Pairs in EP

Just a general question. Should you always limp UTG, UTG+1, with any low or middle pocket pair in a full ring game? I have always done this, folding to a sizeable 3-5xBB re raise by a shortstack, and calling a sizeable re raise by a large stack. But obviously, I find myself dumping a lot of smaller PP's on the flop to a CB.

Main question: Is it always worth it to see a flop with any pocket pair regardless of position, as long as the PF re raise was within reason, and you are seeing a flop with at least one full or near full stack?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Pocket Pairs in EP

Warning: I LAG it up.

I will limp with small pockets (22 - 66) in EP and call a standard raise to see if I can catch a set. I'll get out of the way when there are a lot of reraising or the single raise is just too much to warrant the call OR if I feel that even if I do hit my set that I won't get paid off.

(At the levels I play, people with overpairs almost always pay off sets so the latter requrement is usually moot.)

For 77, 88 and 99 it depends. I might raise or I might limp, depends on the table dynamics.

TT and up I almost always raise from any position.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:36 AM

Of course the right answer is "It Depends". For the most part the successful set miner follows the 5/10 rule (see skeme's sticky for more info) which would have you calling here.

Everything is opponent specific. If there is a maniac who raises any two and I have 77 on a flop of 8 5 3, I will check-raise his continuation bet 75% of the time and if a scare card doesn't appear will continue to be the aggressor. Even if I lose I have sent the correct message to the table.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:44 AM

the correct answer is YES
sets=how I make $$$ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
also I think i have enough experience to know when i have the best hand w/o a set and can take down pots w/o hitting my 2 outer. That is a key part to playing low pp's, you need to know/figure out quickly if you can outplay your opponent or if your hand is best and they will let thier missed (AK) go.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:56 AM

I only play 6-max but I almost always raise (usually don't raise in SB or BB with pairs 44 and down) with any PP if no-one has raised before me.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:35 AM

How profitable are the low PP. i.e 22,33

I just got stacked in succession with set 2's over 3's. Very frustrating.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:42 AM

How about mixing it up a bit, and raising with low PPs from UTG and UTG+1 , say a standard 3x BB.

This gives you the ability to CB on a non-scary flop that hasn't made your set, instead of forcing you to fold to a CB from another player.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:57 AM

I like that, and you can get a lot of action if you hit your set and all boardcards are low.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How profitable are the low PP. i.e 22,33

I just got stacked in succession with set 2's over 3's. Very frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Set over set is just bad luck, don't let it deter you. Would you feel better if it was QQ over JJ? In my PT database of over 60k hands all my pockets pairs are profitable.

I actually prefer to prefer to play in a raised pot if I have a pocket pair as the likelihood of getting paid is greatly increased. As long as the raise is not too great and my read on the player is that he is not capable of laying down an overpair or TPTK I will be happy to mix it up. (There is no worse feeling then limping EP with 55 to get called by the blinds and have everyone fold to your 1/2 pot bet on the 5 9 2 flop.)

As far a raising pp in early position in 6-max. I find it is table dependent and often presents a good chance to mix up my play, especially on tables where I have a 'tight' image.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 AM

In EP, I'll limp with my low/mid PPs and call a raise that's <= 5% of my stack. I fold if the raiser's stack is small. These hands are so easy to play since you can easily fold when you miss the flop. They're so profitable when you do hit the flop.

From MP or LP, I'll raise to 4BB with any PP if it's folded to me. That gives you a good chance to take the pot on the flop even if you miss your set. It also disguises your hand since you're open raising with any PP (22-AA).

The problem with low/mid PPs is when you run into a higher set. Set over set happens so rarely that you should be getting paid off enough to over come it.