Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 09-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Default \"Seat open\" pet peeve

Don't know if this bugs anyone else or if anybody's even noticed, but whenever I see a seat open up on a table I'm at and there's a waiting list, there's usually about 1 or 2 players at the table who get all bent out of shape if the seat isn't filled within a couple of minutes. They'll say to the dealer in a nasty tone "Hey you know we've got a seat open?" or even bitch to the floor person that the seat hasn't been filled. Meanwhile, 90% of the time the dealer is perfectly aware of it and has either already called "seat open" or is waiting for a floor person to get within earshot so he can notify them.

I swear, what's the big f'ing deal if a seat if empty for a few minutes. I don't see these people bitching when a player takes a 20 minute piss/smoke break. I just find it annoying as hell. Let the f'ing dealer do his job and keep your mouth shut. I swear, I've seen players sit at the table and play cards for 2 hours without speaking a word, but as soon as that seat opens up and isn't magically filled right away, they're cussing and pissing and moaning with the best of them.

Just a weird phenomenom that I've noticed. If anybody here is the kind that does this, please explain to me why, and do you honestly think that if you didn't say anything, the seat would never get filled? I've noticed it the most at Foxwoods, but that's an east coast crowd so you gotta expect some rudeness.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: \"Seat open\" pet peeve

BUT OMFG THE BLINDS ARE COMING! AND THE RAKE!
Old 09-15-2005, 04:16 PM

So, I'm not the only one that has noticed that! Drives me nuts, too. The only time such I think such harping is at all justified is when the game just started, isn't full and the list of names waiting hasn't been run through. (I'm an Omaholic, so it happens to my games regularly, what with the staff trying to keep their arms around all the people waiting to play hold 'em.) When the staff only makes a half-hearted effort to ensure that a non-hold 'em game goes, as if they really wanted it to die in order to create another hold 'em table, that really bugs me and I will join in the complaining then.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:32 PM

It is pretty annoying. I actually don't mind when the table gets short if it allows me to change up my game and go from super TAG to running over the people who don't know how to play a short table. I'm no shorthanded expert by any means, but I atleast understand better than the typical donk and even this small edge really seems to manifest itself disproportionately at a short B&M table..
Old 09-15-2005, 04:32 PM

I like seeing the opposite happen. Whenever the waiting list people ask if there are any available seats open and seeing all these hands shoot up in the air.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but that's an east coast crowd so you gotta expect some rudeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to whine and complain incessantly every single time a seat opens up now in hopes one day you will be at my table and I can piss you off even in the slightest.

Jackass.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but that's an east coast crowd so you gotta expect some rudeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to whine and complain incessantly every single time a seat opens up now in hopes one day you will be at my table and I can piss you off even in the slightest.

Jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what he's talking about, acting unpleasantly towards everyone because you've invented some personal reason to be mad all the time. Why don't you just honk your horn everytime the car infront of you doesn't accelerate on a green light with superhuman reaction time. Oh wait a minute, you probably already do that...
Old 09-15-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like seeing the opposite happen. Whenever the waiting list people ask if there are any available seats open and seeing all these hands shoot up in the air.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty entertaining, too. I really like when the action is on one of the old codgers who's so worried about the empty seat and it slows the game down because he's acting like a kindergartener raising his hand because he's going to piss his pants if he doesn't get to go to the bathroom pretty soon. It's especially good when there are two or three tables competing for the new player and the tables that lose the sweepstakes get all grumpy that they weren't picked.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:26 PM

I've seen this behavior where ever I've played and I've played all over. I think it's the worst in LA. The dealers there get treated the worst of anyplace I've ever seen. I think players do this for a number of reasons, the blinds coming around being one of them, but it happens when I play stud also and there are no blinds there. I attribute it mostly to players who are usually unable to say anything about poker with authority and when they find something that they CAN comment on they do it.

I wait 5 minutes before I say anything to the dealer if I know there is a board and then I'll say something like "Do you know if a player has been sent?"
Old 09-15-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's an east coast crowd so you gotta expect some rudeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

dick